Live Premiere on YouTube: A Moonlight Romance Op.17 (Sun June 30th)

Posted (edited)

Hey everybody!

Howz everybody doing?  I've been working on some big projects as of late and haven't had much time to post here.  One of them was my first original composition for Orchestra.  I've been composing since 2001, but my music has only been for my own instrument (The Organ), Piano, Choir, or Chamber ensembles (not counting my videogame music arrangements).  I decided to compose this piece in November, and completed it in late April.

The Moon, and/or Moonlight has often been an inspiration for music:  Beethoven's Moonlight Piano Sonata, Debussy's Clair de Lune, Dvorak's Song to the Moon from his Opera Rusalka, to name but a few.  So I decided to write something in that vein, and have since completed it and made the video for it.

The piece is in three parts: After an ambiguous, ethereal opening, the Romance begins proper. An Oboe d'Amour plays a melody; the central piece of the whole composition, with Orchestral accompaniment. After a brief Horn solo, the music melts into the second section: A Violin and Piano duet, again echoing the original melody, before building up to full orchestra. The Piano helps transition into the third and most active part of the work, culminating in a massive rendition of the Plainsong Chant Divinum Mysterium, before the Orchestra slowly warms down to a serene conclusion, punctuated by a descending melody which begins the piece in the introduction.

The piece is going to be premiered on YouTube on June 30th at 21:00 UK time (16:00 EST), and the link to the premiere is below.  See you all there!

Premiere of A Moonlight Romance, Op.17

Edited by BenEmberley