Sonic Frontiers Theme of Koco Remix

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share a recent mix that I did from Sonic Frontiers.  This game has such a phenomenal soundtrack and I wanted to start remixing a few, starting with one of my favorites, "Theme of Koco."

I wanted to stay pretty faithful to the original while adding my on little touch and experiment a little on my midi keyboard.  Turns out, I still suck at playing it, but I'm still pretty happy with the final product.

I'm not sure if it would be acceptable for OCR since I stuck kinda close to the original, but I will consider submitting it. I also plan on releasing it on streaming platforms as well, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But for now, here ya go. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi noTuX!

There's a real chill vibe going on here. Since your goal is to get this ready to sub to OCR, there are some adjustments I recommend:

• The percussion hits are not tuned to the piece. Especially when you have harmonic content that is shifting chords, the percussion not moving with the harmony gets sour in spots.
  • The foundational ostinato pattern wears out its welcome after the first minute or so. Is there another element that can replace it for a passage and then come back? Or perhaps just dropping it out for a while to come back later?
  • Feels underdeveloped currently. While there are sections we're progressing through in the listen, it's not clear to me where in the piece we're in and there's a sense of meandering through it. Part of that is because the ostinato repeating throughout, and part of it is there are not really any dynamic shifts other than adding more layers.

Would love to give this another listen after you get some more cooking time in on this one. It's got a lot of potential!

On 7/3/2024 at 9:37 PM, pixelseph said:

Hi noTuX!

There's a real chill vibe going on here. Since your goal is to get this ready to sub to OCR, there are some adjustments I recommend:

• The percussion hits are not tuned to the piece. Especially when you have harmonic content that is shifting chords, the percussion not moving with the harmony gets sour in spots.
  • The foundational ostinato pattern wears out its welcome after the first minute or so. Is there another element that can replace it for a passage and then come back? Or perhaps just dropping it out for a while to come back later?
  • Feels underdeveloped currently. While there are sections we're progressing through in the listen, it's not clear to me where in the piece we're in and there's a sense of meandering through it. Part of that is because the ostinato repeating throughout, and part of it is there are not really any dynamic shifts other than adding more layers.

Would love to give this another listen after you get some more cooking time in on this one. It's got a lot of potential!

Good feedback!

At first, I wasn't planning on adding any percussion to it at all because it was going to be more like meditation music.  It wasn't meant to be very dynamic.  I threw percussion in there anyway, and I admit, it turned out pretty lazy and uninspired (which is probably why it sounds like it doesn't fit).  I scrapped the percussion for now.  Also, I decided not to submit it since this is more of a "remake" than a "remix" and I want to stick as close to the original as I can.

However, I do have another idea for a low-fi/hip-hop version (an actual remix) that will be more dynamic and hopefully more acceptable according to OCR standards.  So, there will likely be multiple versions of this song.

This one is going back to the drawing board.

• 1 month later...