Recording MIDI output from a VST

Kanthos

I'm trying a demo of Jamstix, which is a combination drum sequencer and drum part generator. It outputs MIDI data or audio data, and you can use it to drive other drum kits if you want. What I'm trying to do is have it make a drum track, possibily allowing for some edits within Jamstix, and then output the MIDI data to FL Studio, where I'd record the incoming MIDI into a new pattern. I could then do further editing or could save some RAM by unloading Jamstix if I wanted to send the MIDI data to a differen drum module, instead of having Jamstix route the data to another drum module. Can FL Stuido record MIDI data from a VST? If so, how would I do that, and what makes it different from recording from a non-VST source like my MIDI controller?

I don't know enough about Jamstix to answer your question, but on a more general level, typically a midi loopback is required to be able to record or playback midi internally between seperate applications. This can be done either through hardware (ie: an actual physical midi loop) or software (an emulated midi feedback driver). The easiest way is to get an emulated driver, such as MIDI Yoke. Keep in mind, however, that running multiple applications that use the same audio driver can often cause conflicts. For example, I cannot run MiniHost and FL Studio at the same time, because they both utilize my E-MU ASIO drivers. However, if you use WDM drivers, this usually isn't so much of an issue.