Twilylat Brasscess: A Zelda TP Brass Ensemble (WIP)

Yeah, cheesy title, I know. This is a work in progress, no ending has been written yet. This medley from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess takes the listener on a musical journey though Hyrule in the form of a Brass Quintet. This piece is the first in a new, revitalized Lylat Brass series that uses better samples, and somewhat more reasonable part writing (perhaps the Trombone “wolf howls” aren’t so reasonable…).

A note about the Lylat Brass series: I am writing these as if they were written for a concert. Medleys are common in the series and in some places there may not be much difference from the original BGMs.

There will likely be two versions of this piece, as the idea has grown much larger than I had originally anticipated. OCR's 6 meg filesize limit would definitely get in the way of the full version, so a reduced OCR version is a must.

As of now, I am bout 85% complete with the OCR version. I plan to add one more song to the medley and then put the OCR ending. The final piece will be much longer, possible breaking the 15 minute barrier.

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/lbtp004.mp3

Current order of songs in the medley:

Intro/Title Screen

Ordon Ranch

Leaving Ordon

Hyrule Field

Zelda's Theme

Midna's Theme (with a hint of the Cleared Boss Chamber BGM)

Castle Town East

Instrumentation:

2 trumpets (players occasionally switch to flugelhorn)

1 F Horn

1 Trombone (responsible for the "wolf howls")

1 Tuba

I am pretty sure the Trombone "howls" will be controversial, but as of now I do not plan on removing them.

Sample Libraries:

EWQLSO Gold Pro XP (primary instrument sounds)

Garritan Personal Orchestra (Muted Trumpet) [not used yet]

Garritan Jazz and Big Band (Flugelhorn, howl trombone)

Yeah, cheesy title, I know. This is a work in progress, no ending has been written yet. This medley from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess takes the listener on a musical journey though Hyrule in the form of a Brass Quintet. This piece is the first in a new, revitalized Lylat Brass series that uses better samples, and somewhat more reasonable part writing (perhaps the Trombone “wolf howls” aren’t so reasonable…).

A note about the Lylat Brass series: I am writing these as if they were written for a concert. Medleys are common in the series and in some places there may not be much difference from the original BGMs.

There will likely be two versions of this piece, as the idea has grown much larger than I had originally anticipated. OCR's 6 meg filesize limit would definitely get in the way of the full version, so a reduced OCR version is a must.

As of now, I am bout 85% complete with the OCR version. I plan to add one more song to the medley and then put the OCR ending. The final piece will be much longer, possible breaking the 15 minute barrier.

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/lbtp004.mp3

Current order of songs in the medley:

Intro/Title Screen

Ordon Ranch

Leaving Ordon

Hyrule Field

Zelda's Theme

Midna's Theme (with a hint of the Cleared Boss Chamber BGM)

Castle Town East

Instrumentation:

2 trumpets (players occasionally switch to flugelhorn)

1 F Horn

1 Trombone (responsible for the "wolf howls")

1 Tuba

I am pretty sure the Trombone "howls" will be controversial, but as of now I do not plan on removing them.

Sample Libraries:

EWQLSO Gold Pro XP (primary instrument sounds)

Garritan Personal Orchestra (Muted Trumpet) [not used yet]

Garritan Jazz and Big Band (Flugelhorn, howl trombone)

I don't really have any criticism I can offer which would be very constructive (aside from the abrupt ending, which is obviously there because, as you said, the track is only 85% complete yet), but all I can say is I really enjoyed this piece. Personally, I liked the "wolf howl" trombone, but that's just one man's opinion. Keep up the great work!

I changed the title a little. It is now "Lylat Brass #1: Twilight Brasscess." Though I'll likely just submit it as "Twilight Brasscess."

Sadly, I do not have two trumpet players, a trombonist, and a tubist to play with me (I play horn) so samples are the only way to go.

The Black Hole piece is on my site, with some other things that aren't on OCR either. I don't submit everything here. Click my sig pic to get there.

Don't forget, the version I will be submitting will only be about the first half of the piece, so check my site when it's done.

• 3 weeks later...

I have written to the ending of the reduced length version.

After the castle town BGM, the piece transitions into the Twilight BGM and then into "Midna Says Goodbye" as the ending.

I've done the Twilight BGM in a tonal avant-garde style. That may not sit well with everyone. Midna Says Goodbye should make up for that, though.

http://www.corneriasound.com/betamusic/lbtpred001.mp3

The full version will have a longer Twilight BGM plus more songs. The reduced version itself is over 7 minutes. I may have to cut some out of it still because of the 6 meg filesize limit.

I still have a few things to clean up, but this is close to finished. I am debating on whether or not to submit it when this version is done or wait until the full version is done.