Final Fantasy VI: Opening Theme

Nacho

First and foremost, this is part of a project I'm working on, so please read this thread to understand what I am trying accomplish & to understand my musical background: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12402

I'm looking for feedback to this current Final Fantasy VI song, Opening Theme. Please keep in mind that all the guitar, bass & drum sounds with what Fruity Loops had to offer, and that all instruments will be recorded live. I'm not looking for feedback on the quality of sound, looking for feedback on how it was written. Is there a guitar part that should be changed? Is there a bass line you don't like? A segway that could be better? Please let me know.

The file can be downloaded here: Opening Theme MP3

If you have ideas that cannot be expressed into words, download the Fruity Loops file & make those changes & send back to me: Opening Theme FL

I appreciate all your feedback. Look forward to hearing back from you!

Well, Nacho. I think I can give a bit of advice since you just want to hear about the arrangement. I think this arrangement is PRETTY good. But in my personal opinion, this song seems too repetitive to be 5:21. Let me start from the beginning though.

I liked the way you made the intro really long and drawn out. I was thinking that when the melody would finally come in, that it would be something with a lot of impact though. But it just kind of got added in like it wasn't any more important than any other part of the texture. Maybe other people will like it, but I kinda wanted something bigger.

After the distorted guitars hit that final chord at 1:12, I can't see any good reason to get all soft again since that soft thing is basically the same thing as the opening part with a different bass rhythm added in later. It just starts feeling repetitive from this point. Then it continues on and gets heavier with the distorted guitars again and then the main melody comes in and it seems like a sweet progression. I think you could have just cut everything up to 1:12 and just started with this progression. Hearing this nice progression after all that build up before it which has no real climax just seemed kind of repetitive to me. But then again, pop music is repetitive too, and those people make tons of money so, maybe I'm just crazy.

Ok, then a repeat of all that starting at 2:03? Not needed.

Then from 3:28 you've got just the rhythm thing going on which really reminds me of something from Pink Floyd. Hahaha. I don't know, maybe this is a style of writing that I just don't get, but that rhythm part doesn't feel like anything different from all the rest of the song. Maybe a guitar solo would make it feel better.

It's hard for me to say what exactly this needs to not sound so repetitive, but I definitely think you could either delete the entire first 1:12 and start the song from there, or not go to the part that starts at 1:12 until much later in the song and put some kind of climax involving the melody at 1:12 since you've built up to that point in such a good way.

I like the idea you've got here. Especially playing the melody on your bass, is cool to me. Have you ever listened to Ailsean's "Terra in Black" from this site? It's a good example of how the song doesn't need to change up the melody or the key of the song to still sound fresh all the way through. One thing Ailsean does in that song is on the big repeat of the main melody, he adds in another guitar to play some harmony phrases. I thought that was a good idea. I recommend checking it out.

Good luck man.

CHIPP, I appreciate the feedback!

I was curious how people would feel about the swing of the song. I come from a rock band background, so repetitiveness is what I'm more used to & it can be a hard habit to break. The fact that the song is pretty repetitive to begin with and the fact I'm only using 4 instruments will make it a challenge, but I'll see what I can come up with.

I also do love trippy effects & mellow rhythms & such, but you may be right, I may use too much of it. I'm trying to stay away from making this project too much of a "rock" genre (because I sometimes I do that, LOL), but I don't want to sacrifice the flow of the song either.

When I got done writing it, it wasn't a song I was 100% comfortable with, but I thought I'd share it & see if others felt it was the same way. Since I see I'm not the only one, I'll have to see what I can come up with. I don't think there is ever that perfect song because everyone has a different taste on music, but I agree work needs to be done.

I'm hoping to get more feedback so I have more to work with, but you're giving me some good ideas. They're in my head, but when I sit down with the guitar I'm having a hard time getting them out, so I'll just need to use some patience.

Thanks again man, I appreciate the constructive criticism!

It's my pleasure dude. Often times remixes get posted in this WIP thread and they don't get ANY useful feedback. After a specific comment I heard from the judges, I decided that I had better start listening and commenting as much as I can on more WIPs. HOPEFULLY someone will post another comment soon. ^_^