Pokemon ORAS - Zinnia Battle [DnB]

Kalbur

I'm looking for feedback for this ReMix of Zinnia's battle theme in the genre of Drum and Bass. Though it is uploaded, still count it as a WIP since if something needs to change can be changed.

Here is the ReMix: 

Here is the Original: 

Any issues with the ReMix? Things that were good or bad? Anything to help would be very appreciated.

Thank you for your time! 

Starts off very promising, if a little quiet. At around 0:25, when the first set of drums come in, I'm really feeling it.

At around 0:55, the main drums come in, and they're not good. There's compression issues all over, the snare is a tiny short snap with the body of the sound buried under everything else. Mixing DnB loud is difficult, I know, I'm trying too. But this needs work. Sort out your low end, sort out the dynamics of the drums. Look into sidechaining if you haven't already.

The sound design is rather good. Even the drums could work if just mixed differently. But there's two problems with the sound choices. The strings lead used is nowhere near convincing enough to work, and it's especially noticeable on the short notes. The other problem is before 3:00, with some chippier things and a more sitar-like synth, and while I don't mind the chippy bits, the sitar stands out a bit too much and doesn't quite fit the rest of the sound.

On the flip side, the lead synth, the synth ostinato, even the accordion-like synth choices are all really cool. Not sure about the piano at the end. It sounds like a single sample. It sounds like a single-velocity/single-sample thing, and I'm not sure if it's intentional and cool or sloppy and bad Also, the ring-y sound behind it is a little shrill.

Creatively, it doesn't take any great liberties with the sources. The bass is different, thus the chords are different, but the melodies seem to be mostly the same, if not simplified. There's some obvious changes to structure to fit DnB, and those work well. The track flows rather well, although as the sequence of melodies is the same as the source, it's more a matter of the genre adaptation not screwing up what worked in the original.

The mixing is the main thing that's holding the track back. Get the drums and bass in order, and it'll work a lot better, and it'll be easier to overlook the other things. After that,. it'd be a welcome addition to ocr and to my own playlists. That said, there's no reason to not try to find solutions for those issues as well.

I'm looking forward to hearing this finished. You're not done yet.