Final Fantasy IV - Medley 2013

SavingPrincess

I'm wondering what kind of processing went into making the instruments sound like they were being played in a hall.

The flow stayed consistent throughout and the percussion section went along with the winds very well.

This arrangement tells the original soundtracks in a whole new way.

the woodwind runs sounded great and at the apex of the piece I felt truly amazed. And the resolve really tied up the whole piece.

I don't really have many big complaints with the track as I tend not to be too critical. Thank you for this wonderful arrangement.:nicework:

-snip-

Thanks man! The kind words mean a lot.

I use the Waves IR-1 plugin with the "Todd AO Scoring Stage" preset, and make sure all my instruments go in as dry as possible so that they all get the same reverb applied. Making sure the "distance" of the instruments is important and it's crucial to know how an orchestra works in general, how instruments work, what they are good at, can and can't do, etc. I generally tend to work with instruments sampled at a "room" distance but remove any reverb that the patches themselves have in preference of the Waves plugin.

Beyond that, not much as far as the "hall" sound goes, it's mostly the reverb plugin combined with orchestral knowledge. Glad you enjoyed it!