Jump to content

Vidilian

Contributors
  • Posts

    308
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Posts posted by Vidilian

  1. Update.

    Was doing some over high-passing that was hurting some of the synths so I've dragged those back but still tried to control the low mid frequencies.
    Went back to having synth effects be less noticeable but increased overall reverb for everything. 
    Exported a WAV and then converted it to mp3 with Audacity as its encoder does a better job with these sounds at 192kbps than the Cubase encoder.

  2. Thanks for feedback.

    Update.

    Adjusted reverb and fader for piano so it's hopefully more realistic. I'm playing all parts by hand already with just slight adjustments to overly sloppy keys, so not sure how else to humanise.

    Adjusted parameters of the bagpipe sounding synth so it's less annoying and more atmospheric. Toned down bass synth a bit.

    Extended the song. Shifted the key in the new part to match the key of the original "Elysium in the Blue Sky". Will extend a bit more later.

  3. The main thing that sticks out that could be improved mix-wise are mostly to do with the drums I think. The hihats volume is too low compared to everything else and the snare could probably be changed to one thats a bit thicker for a song like this, but that could just be preference. 

    Arrangement-wise, having the arpeggios going the whole time got a bit repetitive so maybe change it up by taking a break from it in the middle and do something more varied before it comes back again.

  4. Thanks for feedback. Helped a lot.

    Update: 

    Adjusted eq to clean things up more in low end and remove harshness on hihats, sax and some of the synths. This helped the hihats stick out less.

    Introduced either chorus or delay effects to most sounds and a longer reverb that only the sax uses in addition to the reverb that almost everything already had, which is now shorter. 

    Tried using softer kick that stars at 0:40 for  the intro aswell but it didn't meld well with it, probably because the intro has a bit more energy to it so the softer kick felt out of place. However, I Adjusted eq and lowered the fader levels for the kicks in general so they're less overpowering.

    Pitched down one of the synths at the beginning by an octace so it clashs less with another. Filled out the middle part of the song by adding a couple more intruments.

    Same link.

  5. Take my feedback with a grain of salt as I'm not sure I've figured out the issue this I'm about to point out in my own stuff yet.

    Most of the istruments. especially in the lower end, could benfit from some EQ cuts to make the mix less muddy when they're playing together. Do an EQ sweep on every instrument to see if you figure out what frequencies are problematic and can be cut to free up space for other intruments. There could also be an issue with instruments playing in the same octave so make sure that's not happening for the most part.

  6. Take my feedback with a grain of salt as I'm not sure I've figured out how to solve the issue I'm about to point out myself.

    There seems to be overlap in the frequencies your intruments are playing right now. It's very noticeable stating at 0:22 when the synth(s) comes in. I'm not sure if its two layered synths or just one synth that has lower and higher octaves to it, but either way it's competing with the lower piano notes for space, making them nearly inaudible and making the song, as a whole, too muddy. Try to make sure most instruments are playing in their own octaves for the most part but keep in mind that synths may cover several octaves if several oscillators are used where some are transposed up or down.  Once you've done that then adjustment to EQ will still be needed but you'll have a better idea of how.

  7. The reverb your using makes everything sound like they're a bit too much in the distance. Increasing the pre-delay on it should bring things more to the front while still keeping the sense of space. You may need tone down the reverb a little as well. Also, try and double track the rhythm guitar to see that helps them sound more substantial.

    Also, arrangement-wise, I'm struggling to pick out elements from the original, like the melody, in your remix for some reason. That may be because your changing things up so much or because I'm being dumb.

×
×
  • Create New...