Which software package do you recommend?

So I was thinking of getting into remixing... Cakewalk's Sonar packages looked the most enticing to me, but I'm really quite confused as to what package to get. There are several different versions, named Home and Production and at least one other... I'm not sure what they're exactly called, but I'd really like to be able to do what is heard on OCR after some practice. I'd be creating things that aren't techno or rave, for the most part, if that makes a difference. Any help would be great!

Thanks for helping a n00b,

-Gus Gus

Try every single demo/trial version of all packages if possible - otherwise visit a local music store.

Pick the one you feel comfortable with after you've worked a while with them. Don't pick the one that makes you want to bash your head against the wall.

but I'd really like to be able to do what is heard on OCR after some practice.

It's the cook, not the kitchen. Anything that can handle VST plugins will do.

I'd be creating things that aren't techno or rave, for the most part, if that makes a difference.

No, it doesn't. FL does help a lot thanks to its pattern-based setup and step sequencers, though ;).

I've used the following:

Steinberg Nuendo

Steinberg Cubase

Cakewalk Sonar (tons of versions)

Fruity Loops

Of everything above, Steinberg Nuendo had everything I could imagine and hope for. Cubase wasn't far behind, but I didn't really care for the simplified interface. Nothing wrong with Sonar, just found Nuendo to be a bit faster.

Generally the advice is to try the demos of each of the products you're looking to buy, then decide which is right for you. If you have enough money that you're considering buying Sonar, then the sequencers in that price range really just come down to personal preference.

But to support my good friend Sonar, I'll say that I think that it is a great product and you won't go wrong with it. There are (sort of) 4 versions: Home Studio, Home Studio XL, Studio Edition and Producer Edition, any one of which is easily capable of making great music. I think the Home Studio line has been discontinued at version 6 (although they have upgraded the XL version recently), but you'd still see years of life out of that if you buy it now. This comparison chart is good for figuring out which version is right for you. The major limitations of the Home Studio line as compared to the other 2 pro versions are that HS:

• has a limited number of audio tracks
  • has no ReWire capability (it can't work directly with other sequencers)
  • doesn't have audio snap (an awesome tool if you plan on recording a lot of audio)
  • can't directly add effects to clips, only to tracks.

If you can live without these, then go for the cheaper Home Studio products. The XL has a bunch of additional plugins (instruments and effects), some of which are pretty nice.

If you feel like you have to have those features, the difference between Studio Edition and Producer Edition are similar to the difference between the XL and non XL versions of Home Studio. I have Studio Edition 6 and I absolutely love it.