Modchipstore.com

The Pezman

Back in Spring 2006 I ordered a Slide Card/Swap Magic set from ModchipStore. And it came, no problem. Unfortunately, I could never do the slide card thing properly and this past winter finally got around to upgrading to the slim model. Thus, I reasoned, I could use the equivalent tools for that system (which I've heard are easier) and be well on my way. So I went and ordered the fliptop cover from ModchipStore. I got a confirmation email of my order.

It still hasn't come. I've submitted emails to their complaint department up the wazoo with no response. I used one of my parents credit cards to make the purchase and they said they haven't seen a charge from Modchipstore. But I'm not sure that's indicative of the fact that my order got lost. They have no number I can call and their live support is down indefinitely, and there's no way I'm going to order from them again until I find out what happened this time.

So does anyone know of a reliable web site to order this particular item from?

Your choice if you want to take the risk and break your warranty, but you could always do a tissue and tape mod instead of spending money on a flip-top cover or the magic key set. I prefer either the magic key set or tissue and tape mod because what's the point of buying a badly designed custom flip-top when you have a perfectly good one in the slim PS2? Is linking bad? If not, well, I'll post a tutorial or link to one if you can't find a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Standard Philip screwdriver. Similar to the ones you can use to unscrew a car light and PC casings I believe.

Edit: If you're an avid PS2 game fan, I recommend setting up a hard disk drive (HDD) to play PS2 games from and use your slim PS2 to play games you're unable to play on the HDD. Given the game compatibility rate is about 85% when playing from the HDD, I say it's pretty generous given you don't have to tax your PS2's laser so much. You're ensured a much longer lasting laser for an extra few years compared to running your laser dry (worn, whatever the analogy).

Although, that's extra money. About 70 considering an IDE HDD is required along with a Network adapter excluding the need for a fat PS2 if you don't have an old one.

Just throwing it out there.

I briefly considered that, but quickly realized the benefits were not worth the tradeoffs. I had a fat PS2 but it was old (and I didn't want to spend extra to track down another one). Plus, the hard drive can only hold a certain number of games (and I have more than that), the process is cumbersome, and the PS2 becomes much heavier (a concern when you carry it places like I do sometimes). Plus, as far as the laser goes, I had the old PS2 for years and years (before I sold it to get a slim) and it still works just fine.

So no, no hard drive.

Okay, I've examined my PS2 all over and I can't find any screws. Especially not in the places indicated... do I have to remove the rubber feet? If so, how should I do that?

And even if I do remove the rubber feet, there are two squares with no feet which the photo still indicates have screws. I can't see them anywhere.

The square pegs cover the screws, correct. You can use your finger nails and pretty much pick remove those pegs out to reveal the screws.

The reason why the number of screws is different is because sometimes each PS2 version has a minor appearance change both internally and external, some minor while other changes can be drastic. So comparing a fat PS2 with another fat PS2 can be quite different; hence, why the switch in the black slim PS2 would be located differently than the silver slim PS2.