*NO* Mega Man 3 'Hardman (Hard as Nails Mix)'

Liontamer

Hey my name is Fru, my email is , my user ID is fru.

This is a remix from Mega Man 3 on the NES.

It is a remix inspired by the Hardman stage.

The title is 'Hardman - Hard as Nails Remix'.

The main inspiration for the track came to me while listening to Nine Inch Nails (hence the title of the remix), they are easily my favorite band and I really love their distorted electronic sound, so I decided to recreate it and incorporate into this remix. The music from Mega Man 2 and 3 has always been great fun to remix, so I see no reason not to keep churning them out!

Many Thanks

Fru

------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman3.zip - Track 5 ("Hardman Stage")

Seems like a cool enough intro, liberally handling the bassline of the original (isolate the triangle channel from :00-:12 of the source to hear it), though the beats coming in at :16 were plainly written, followed by some more plain beats at :25 surrounded by some cool sounds. The melody finally came in at :57. Some issues with the volume again for one of your submissions, IMO; aside from the beats, everything felt too quiet.

The arrangement was decent, but dynamically speaking, it felt plodding. The core beats at :25 almost never changed up, and the textures and energy felt too similar throughout. The verse at 1:00 simply repeating at 1:41 was a slight negative, but I liked the move into some different parts of the source at 1:57 which changed up the flow. That being said, it settled right back into the same groove from 2:06-2:22.

At 2:38, the track revisited the writing of the intro, i.e. the liberal take on the source tune bassline with some beats and cool sound effects playing around the stereo field. This time around, there was a lot more activity going on with the various sound effects for the finish, creating a good contrast with the intro.

I liked the overall style of the track more and more as I listened to it several times, but the beats at the foundation of the track were simplistic and the overall dynamic curve wasn't pronounced enough. The energy level doesn't have to change drastically, but better evolution/development within 1:00-2:22 would make the track a lot more interesting. Maybe I'll come across as nitpicky, so we'll see what the other Js say. This is getting there, but it needs more to put it over the top.

NO (resubmit)

Very Pretty Hate Machine-sounding. :nicework: The source melodies played a real tertiary role in this though, and I wasn't feeling the piece was that cohesive. I didn't even hear the intro connecting to the bassline like Larry did (if it does, it doesn't change my decision anyhow). The really creative parts of the song to me were the crazy processing sections that totally ignored or marginalized the source, like 1:17. The sections involving the source were played a lot straighter, and they could have used some of that processing creativity too, to tie everything together. The lead instrument also didn't fit the mood that well.

Production is uneven too. The volume is way down but even then, the drums are a lot louder than the other instruments. Great job with processing and effects though. I think it really captured the sound and mood you're going for.

I think you really need to rethink what to do with this song. There are some cool ideas here, but for me, they don't gel.

NO