Real Name - Tyler Esposito, Luke Odom

Email Address - butterfliesforbreakfast@gmail.com

Website - http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesforbreakfast

User ID - 23408

SUBMISSION INFORMATION:

Name Of Game - Super Mario Bros 3

Name Of Individual Song - End Theme

System - Nintendo Entertainment System

Comments - We were sitting around at band practice once when we started talking about how great some video game music is, especially the tunes that get overlooked. One of the songs from our childhood that always left an impression was the End Theme for Super Mario Bros 3. Perhaps it was because of the feeling of joy we had upon completion of the game, but that song always stuck with us.

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb3.zip - Track 25 (:34 into it)

The mixing and separation of parts should be better, the drums were too basic, and the textures should be more complex and cohesive.

By 1:01, the arrangement already felt repetitive. The changeup from 1:45-1:59 was only a brief respite from the repetition. You've really gotta do a lot more creatively with the theme. Adding that overly quiet, fake-sounding vox in the background at 2:24 doesn't get the job done as far as variation or dynamic contrast.

Needs more instrumental variation, more melodic interpretation, more dynamic contrast, more evolution; more substance. What was here was a decent base, but it wasn't nearly developed enough. There's good potential, but you need to actually explore it.

NO

Oh man, all I can think of is

Oh you, you beat this game!

Yeah you, you beat the game!

This gaaaaame, you sure did beat,

aaand that's gooood, for some reason.

This is okay, nothing horribly wrong with it. Plenty of cheese, not a whole lot of substance. The break towards the end is a nice change, but I'm a little bored by that point. It's just too straightforward. There isn't enough going on in the arrangement, instrumentation or production to keep my interest.

NO (borderline)

• 2 weeks later...

There wasn't much to this arrangement. It holds the same bland textures for a long time, with little in the way of changing the original parts. The new parts play predictably, apart from the minor freakout like at 1:52. Actually, I think more weird stuff like that would improve this.

The way it's arranged and produced reminded me of Ween: the slightly-off timing and notes, the effects on the guitar, and the cheesy lead. I think it's difficult to make that cheap sound work in your favor, and they do it by being so out there with their vocals, effects, and other instrument choices. If that's the sound you're going for, you definitely need more weirdness and creativity. Otherwise, sound upgrades on the synth lead and drums would help. Pushing the lead up an octave would also make it stand out more.

NO