Tempo Change in MIDI

Guest GrayburgJ

Guest GrayburgJ

Is there a way to change a midi's tempo while keeping the notes the same?

Like changing a 70 bpm midi to 140 bpm, while having the original 70 bpm notes playing at the same speed.

Guest GrayburgJ

Isn't there some auto-stretch tool? I guess it's more related to that.

I want to keep the original midi playing at its old speed, but work on it at a faster bpm. I wanted to know before I went and manually moved/stretched everything twice as long.

I'm not clear on what you're asking. You can change the note duration (make a quarter note an eighth note or a half note) or you can change the tempo (go from 70 BPM to 140 BPM), or do both, but you can't have 70 BPM and 140 BPM notes playing at the same time.

Or are you saying that you want to have things play at 140 BPM while you work on the track but release it at 70 BPM? If so, you can probably change the global tempo of the piece to 140 BPM for editing, and switch it back for playback.

Guest GrayburgJ

Okay, specifically, the song is originally 70 bpm, and say I just add in a drum beat. It would be playing at 70bpm, but I want the drums to run at 140 bpm while keeping the original notes at 70bpm.

I don't want to just add in the drums running at 70bpm, which would mean making a 4-beat bar actually run at 8-beats. In FL Studio, the basic editor doesn't handle 32th notes, or whatever, so the drumbeat would end up being limited to 16th notes being the quickest.

I wish I understood more music terms.

I think I know what he is asking.

Basically, he wrote something in 70 bpm, but editing stuff at a slow speed is hard, so he wants to double the speed, but double the space between the notes so the song still plays as if it were 70 bpm, but the notes are spaces out so that the sequencer can run at 140 bpm.

Anyways, im not really an FL guy, but there might be a "double"/"half" option for a group of midi notes. If there is, you'll want to use "half" on all your midi data and then increase the bpm from 70 to 140.

I hope this somehow helps.

Been over a year since I last used FL Studio, but I find it hard to believe that it doesn't handle 32nd notes. Someone who knows it better can speak to that.

Are you using prerecorded drum loops here, or programming a MIDI drum track to be played back? If the former, your only solution will be to stretch the audio. If the latter, I'm pretty sure you can do 32nd notes, or notes of any length really if you record from a MIDI keyboard or click and shrink the notes to the duration of your choice and position them properly in the piano.

Wait, I think I got it. Are you trying to do your drums in the step sequencer instead of the piano roll? If so, that's your problem there. Do your drums in the piano roll (really, you'll probably want to do most things in the piano roll), so you have more control over note durations.

Make the notes twice as long and twice as far from the start of the track.

Hit ctrl a to select all notes.

Hold shift and drag one of the notes to double its length. All the others should do the same.

you may need to make a temporary note that starts at the very beginning and select that one too in the CTRL a part. Then delete it later.

If i remember right that should "Make the notes twice as long and twice as far from the start of the track."