WMA files blasting my eardrums

Nutritious

First of all, I keep my computer's Wave Output level low (on volume control). I have a pretty hot signal with my current headphones, so it's the only way I can listen without having the Main Volume output at the lowest possible level.

Whenever I play a WMA file through Wimamp, it suddenly kicks the Wave Output to almost max, which totally blows away my eardrums. I don't normally listen to this format, but I'd like to know how I can prevent this from happening because it's extremely annoying (and painful).

• 2 weeks later...

Does it actually *move* your wave slider up? Or does it just blast you regardless of where the wave slider's position is? I've never had any music file adjust my sliders, so I'll just assume the latter for the rest of my post..

I am only speculating, but perhaps the WMA format isn't considered "waveform" by your PC, and your other music files are. So why not just leave the wave slider at max, and use the master volume to control the output level?

Edit: If it actually is moving the wave slider on it's own, I have no idea what the issue is.

Does it actually *move* your wave slider up? Or does it just blast you regardless of where the wave slider's position is? I've never had any music file adjust my sliders, so I'll just assume the latter for the rest of my post..

I am only speculating, but perhaps the WMA format isn't considered "waveform" by your PC, and your other music files are. So why not just leave the wave slider at max, and use the master volume to control the output level?

Edit: If it actually is moving the wave slider on it's own, I have no idea what the issue is.

Yeah, it's actually MOVING my Wave Output slider in Volume Control to about 90% (from around 10%). The problem is, if I do end up leaving the Wave level there, I have to keep my Master volume to around 5% to keep the levels on my headphones under control (see previous post). I'd prefer to avoid that since I like to be able to control volume better up or down. I guess I'll just avoid WMA's as much as possible I guess.

Did some snooping around in my Winamp settings. There's a wave output plugin that may be causing you your problem. While in Winamp go to Preferences (ctrl-P) and then select Plugins - Output and see if you have a wave output plugin (you should since I assume it's default). Select Configure and look for Volume Control. If "Reset to original value on stop" is selected, de-select it. Hope this works.