*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Opera Battle Madness'

Liontamer

Yo,

remix: Final Fantasy VI - Opera Battle Madness

original(s): Opera Scene: "Overture(2)," followed by "overture" finishing with "battle theme"

This is an amalgamation of some portions of the famous opera scene in FFVI finishing off with a small bit of the battle theme. Went for a really messy, sorta hard indie kinda feel. Lol... I don't really know how to describe the genre of this. There is ska, reggae and some hard aspects to it. But I like it. I had a lot of fun with it. Enjoy!

Thanks for listening,

-marc

http://marcjunker.whenshuttersclick.com

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Overture (part 3)" [ff6-207c.spc] (:00 section & 1:19 section of source) & "Battle Theme" (ff6-105.spc)

The concept was cool, but the execution was really rough and not cohesive enough. The transition between the first and second halves didn't have much flow to it.

The lead guitar sounded decent but the tone always sounded the same and the timing on it (and the bass) was a little loose.

The backing instrumentation didn't adequately fill out the rest of the space in the soundfield. The sequenced drumwork for the first section in particular was generally droning and repetitive.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting ideas here, but this still has a ways to go. The sections of the song don't transition very well (especially the full stop at 0:33) and the textures didn't quite fit together, especially in the first section. The use of such cheap, programmed drums with real guitar and bass didn't work. The section beginning at 1:33 was my favorite part of this song. The texture was good and the slowdown of Battle Theme was creative. I think the playing could be tightened up a bit there though, and careful with the tuning of your instruments. Either the bass or guitar sounds like it's out-of-tune.

The cheap drum samples definitely hurt this piece. Some layering of drum sounds could give you a fuller sound in lieu of upgrading your samples. In addition, the drums sounded too low in the mix for the entire song. The first section is also muddy and the guitar and synth could use some trimming with EQ so that the individual parts can be heard better. Make use of our remixing and WIP forums for tips and advice, Marc. You have a lot of room to grow, but you also brought some good ideas to the table.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The texture here is quite thin and doesn't sound as full as it could have if mixed differently. The drums are quite weak and are really low in the mix.

1.37-1.38 was very off-time - although it starts a reggae section that has loose timing consistent with the reggae genre which sounds good.

Overall the mix was very short, and while that isn't in itself a reason to 'No' this by any means, coupled with the fact that it is unfocused works against it. While changing genres is good, there was not enough time to establish each section and build anticipation for the genre change, and it seemed like there was no reason to change the vibe when it had just started. It was like a promiscuous girl - a quick one with not enough time for depth.

NO