First sound card ... and having trouble with it

wasabihead

So... this is probably a stupid question but I want to give it a shot:

I bought a Emu 0404 card and got it today, so I hooked it up and everything; only to realize that there's no sound, but I can see from the patchmix that the sound is undulating so THERE must be sound...

after some I research I came to the realization that since all I have is a desktop speaker, I'll probably need a Mono 1/4" male to Stereo 1/8" female adapter!

Is this true?! Or is there any other way I can just use stereo input rather than having to get an adaptor?

Just to clarify, this is the Emu 0404 PCI card and NOT the Emu 0404 USB interface, right?

I think that you'll need the adapter. Only other option I can think of is to buy speakers with 1/4" inputs, and that would definitely be more expensive. If you can find the particular adapter you need, it should be <$10. If you can't find it specifically, you should be able to hack a substitute from this and this.

Thanks alot and yes this is the card not the USB.... to my dismay though I didn't know the USB alternative exists... : /

The first link didn't work, but I have something like that from the second link, so I can at least confirm that my sound card DOES work! : d

I'm going to search and also call customer service to see if there is in fact a adaptor for the desktop speakers available for this particular card...

Also since I started a sound card topic: what would be the key difference between a card and the USB? I mean from the obvious I know that the USB is more portable, but is there anything else?

Eh ... you're right, the links have gone down. Try them again later today -- the entire samash.com site is acting odd, and maybe they'll get it fixed. What I linked to was an adapter that changed two male 1/4" monos to one female 1/4" stereo (so basically the two mono outputs could be combined to a single stereo output). If you plug the second adapter -- female 1/8" stereo to male 1/4" stereo -- into this, you get a stereo jack that should be the size of your speaker cable.

I use the 0404 USB with my laptop because I can't install a PCI card in it. The PCI card has a higher bandwidth available to it, so there's theoretically less likely to be latency problems when recording. Functionally, there's not much difference between a PCI card and an external USB/Firewire interface -- usually there are just differences in the types of inputs and outputs they offer, and an external interface may have level-adjustment knobs physically on the unit.