Starting Point?

Hi, I'm kinda new to this, and recently I've just downloaded and installed some soundfonts, a copy of Reaper and Fruity Loops, but I find their manuals to be difficult to read and learn from, because I still feel kinda lost not knowing where to start . . .

I've looked through the tutorials, but I can't find one that could essentially walkthrough the composition of a song, is there a place I can look up tuts for practice? And I'm kinda lost which to choose. . Reaper or Fruity Loops?

And of course, what would be the best way to get started on this? I'm still struggling with their interfaces despite reading the manuals -.- Maybe my English aint that good :(

The best way to learn, is to simply dive and and figure everything out on your own. Look at some of the project files that came with FLStudio and figure out what people did in each of them in order to get a general idea of how to work things. Backwards-engineering songs is probably the quickest way to learn how to do things.

there really are no comprehensive ways to learn how to make a song simple because its an artform and everyone has their own techniques that others will never use and workflows that others will never understand. Its a personal thing really.

First of all, nice move in getting the demos (assuming that's what you mean :x), it's a first step that most newbies miss... Anyways, backwards engineering is a great way to learn, I find that just sitting down and reading a manual is useless because you don't know what they're talking about, and then you forget. I'd recommend using a quick video tutorial to learn where things are, then try and work your way through a first objective.(youtube or something although there are a few decent ones here; http://www.warbeats.com/Forums/tabid/59/forumid/24/page/2/view/Topics/Default.aspx)

Start your first objective as something small, don't start right out with "make a good song" or you'll get frustrated. Start with something like "learn how to put notes in to play happy birthday" or something. Then if you get stuck, you know what you need help with, rather than needing help with "getting started"

Good luck, and keep in mind that there are many others in your exact same position, so don't get discouraged.

but I can't find one that could essentially walkthrough the composition of a song

The reason you won't find this other than a generalized version in Computer Music magazine (they usually have workshops for genres) is that everyone's composition process is different and a different approach works better for a different genre.

In what way are you now not able to compose (or compose fluently)? If it's the interface, you have to dive in; it's like getting used to a new car (times hundred). Focus on a single operation - e.g. "I want to achieve a certain effect" and spend time on that and only that until you've done it.

Don't try to learn 2 sequencer packages at the same time - to stick with the car analogy, someone trying to learn Cubase and FL Studio at the same time is to try to drive an Aston Martin and a Ferrari at the same time.

And of course, what would be the best way to get started on this?

The manuals are mostly for reference purposes, but if that's not getting you anywhere, you need old-fashioned books or instruction videos.