Microphone blues.

Salluz

image1131701186_perception437463c220175.JPG

• Polar pattern: cardiod
  • Frequency range: 20 to 20,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity: 18 mV/Pa (-35 dBV)
  • Max. SPL: 135 dB (for k=0,5 %)
  • Equivalent noise level (CCIR 468-2): 26 dB
  • Equivalent noise level: 16 db-A (to IEC 60268-4)
  • Signal/noise ratio (A-weighted): 78 dB (re 1 Pa)
  • Impedance: <=200 ohms
  • Recommended load impedance: >=1000 ohms
  • Supply voltage: 48 V phantom power to DIN 45596/IEC 268-15
  • Current consumption: <=2 mA
  • Connector: 3-pin XLR (pin 2 hot)
  • Net weight: 525 g / 1.2 lbs.
  • Best for vocals, strings, recording, and radio/on air.

My converter:

box.gif

• 48V Phantom Power for condenser microphones.
  • Fully balanced low noise analog front end.
  • Analog gain control.

At the Guitar Center, some random employee offered me a "deal": a display mic for 10% off. I bought that with the warranty that later became my personal Lord and Savior. Now, I already got my refund, so there is now no financial issue, lol. I believe that there can be power issues between USB-connected mics and PCs. This may be true, or it could be that I got a display mic for 10% off that died on me. Or both?

No, I did not drop the microphone (that's a K.O. for a condenser mic!); I only used it the way that you would use any mic. I am not one who leaves his PC on forever, nor one who plays extremely loud sounds into the mic. No coffee spills, playing football with it, leaving it in the oven, placing it in the freezer or taking it swimming with me. I only used the danged thing for a month before it started giving me crappy quality.

My attempt is to get a new mic (not this one) with a power supply connected to my PC. Malcos told me to get a better preamp, which is supposed to give the mic phantom power, of course. This device's frequency ranges from 20 to 20,000 Hz (not the best, but okay for the price of $62.99), so a preamp would protect it from critical damage. Also, I know that I need a new sound card, (my sad story linked here) so I need some professional recommendations.

Well, I'm hardly a professional, but I picked up a used M-Audio FastTrack ($60) and a used ART Tube Preamp ($30) to use with my SM57, and it sounds absolutely amazing for pretty much everything I've tried with it (vocals, amp, misc sound effects, etc). I previously had the SM57 going through some generic preamp on a small mixer, and I cannot believe how much of a difference a better preamp makes. Definitely look into the ART Tube preamps, they have a bunch, some with integrated USB audio interfaces, so that might be a good place to start. As far as the mic itself, I don't know much there, so I can't really make any recommendations, as the SM57 is the only one I've really used. The FastTrack works great though, and it'd work as a replacement for your sound card, so you might want to look into that.

Well, I'm hardly a professional, but I picked up a used M-Audio FastTrack ($60) and a used ART Tube Preamp ($30) to use with my SM57, and it sounds absolutely amazing for pretty much everything I've tried with it (vocals, amp, misc sound effects, etc). I previously had the SM57 going through some generic preamp on a small mixer, and I cannot believe how much of a difference a better preamp makes. Definitely look into the ART Tube preamps, they have a bunch, some with integrated USB audio interfaces, so that might be a good place to start. As far as the mic itself, I don't know much there, so I can't really make any recommendations, as the SM57 is the only one I've really used. The FastTrack works great though, and it'd work as a replacement for your sound card, so you might want to look into that.

Ok, I'll check that out ASAP.