*NO* Tales of Phantasia 'Withering Hope'

Liontamer

Hello

My name is Savino, I'm from Switzerland and I just recently discovered your site.

Did a remix of the track "Oasis" (plays when Cless is in the Freyland Desert, IIRC) from the game "Tales Of Phantasia" (SNES).

My:

-homepage: http://kon.539.ch/

-uid: 23993

Link to remix:

I fell in love with this particular track the first time I heard it in-game and instantly it was clear to me that I am going to make my own version.

It already sounded so awesome on that crappy SNES DSP, however I felt like it needed something less wavetable-like, but still nothing too huge/overdone.

With that intention I remade this track back then, trying to create a calm, slightly sad and yet beautiful sentiment.

If you like it let me know and I will send more along the lines of this one.

greetings

savino

PS: If you need any other information just ask me via this address. (kon@539.ch)

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=top - "Oasis" (top-211.spc)

Short and sweet: I enjoyed the sounds, which created a nice atmosphere. But otherwise the structure was way too close to the original. About the only thing different was that you eventually abandoned the melody and replaced it some interpretive soloing from 1:59-2:46, then again at 3:10 during the fadeout. But you need more overall interpretation that that. As is, this was way too similar in the structure and feel of the original and doesn't stand apart from it enough from the original. Develop the idea more and make it more unique compared to the original.

NO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot to add here. The main concern is that your version is very close to the original in terms of structure, just like Larry said. You did choose some pretty pleasing instruments though, sounds like a cozy old PSX RPG. The soloing was a step in the right direction but you need to develop the arrangement more. Bring in some original chord writing, maybe a counter melody, a break or just a change in instrumentation. Try #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.com or the WIP-boards for some feedback and tips.

NO