Indie game development?

I've always been a huge fan of OC Remix. I noticed that even a few of the top contributors (such as pixietricks and a few others) got actual contracts for in-game music for a few AA titles.

I've always been curious though, what is the likelihood of anybody here wanting to help do music for the Indie game development scene and projects stemming from this? It seems logical to me - but, of course, I'm coming from a software background.

Besides, I'm now curious - what type of game ideas would music artists have a fixation for?

How many of the artists around here have considered looking for some sort of Indie project to join?

Would love to hear some of your opinions. :)

I swing both ways :)

I'd be perfectly willing (if I had the time) to make music for any indie venture. But I don't, since my time is now divided between making real games for Pandemic and making Indie games for myself.

The one I'm working on now is a non-traditional side-scrolling shmup. So music is foremost on my mind. The first and perhaps last place I would turn to for original music would be the talent here.

And, speaking third-handedly, there are plenty of people here trying to make it in either game music or film, and they desperately need something real on their resume to prove their clout so... it's a symbiotic relationship. Win wins all around.

I'd imagine that the community here would be willing to compose for any type of indie game.

Though, no one is likely to be interested unless you have a demo, or at least something to show how far you are in development. Not a good strategy to just waltz in and say "I am thinking about making a game, need music plz."

And I'm fairly sure that if the game maker offered compensation that there would be a lot of interest from the talent pool.

"Not a good strategy to just waltz in and say "I am thinking about making a game, need music plz."" - I couldn't agree more. Anybody who would do this sort of thing would be, at the least, a complete jerk.

For me though, it is surprising that more Game companies (Indie included) don't come to places like these sniffing out new talent. Some of the remixes I've found on this site are nothing short of phenomenal - even if it they are still just are following a set music score. I think there is a lot of untapped talent here.

"Though, no one is likely to be interested unless you have a demo, or at least something to show how far you are in development." - Again, I think you're dead on here as well. Publishers don't even like handing out anything to any venture that doesn't already have a viable demo ready to go. Even getting to that stage is a hardship, especialy with the amount of detail that goes into the development process. It is almost a sort of deadlock - you can't get help unless you have something, and you can't have something unless you get help. It's a one man ship up to the point that you've done 3/4 of the work... Then everybody jumps on-board and expects equal shares... :/

"And, speaking third-handedly, there are plenty of people here trying to make it in either game music or film, and they desperately need something real on their resume to prove their clout so... it's a symbiotic relationship. Win wins all around." - Ya know, that truly is the one thing that holds a lot of people back, just being able to be immersed and included in an actual project. It seems, at least to me, that certain people have a lot of passion and want to get into it, it's just that they aren't offered the opportunities, or perhaps rather don't know the right people.

I know I've been in that stage for a long while now - just trying to get a few people to help me out with the stuff I'm trying to work on has been a real pain. But, I'm reassured that once I get some fancy graphics being produced, things will improve, as I found out with one project that, sadly, kinda died out due to implementation problems: http://korps.sourceforge.net/images/dwip_cap53.jpg http://korps.sourceforge.net/images/dwip_cap55.jpg

Thanks for the replies though. Nice to see that the community here on OCRemix is level headed and not too terribly hostile to stupid threads like these :P.