*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Roller Disco Coaster'

Liontamer

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Published 1995 by Nintendo for Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Remix of Disco Train by PanManDan

Original by Dave Wise

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkq - "Disco Train" (dkq-16.spc)

This was...half-decent in terms of personalizing the theme, but it still sounded too much like the original. The track seemed pretty empty the whole way through. Dynamically, pretty flat as well. This was almost too subtle, and the core groove felt repetitive overall. Not really a lot going on here, though this would have made solid in-game BGM. The synth in the background from 1:33-1:47 was slightly off-time, IMO.

If you can bring some most life to this via more pronounced dynamics and evolution, this could really pick up. It doesn't mean you have to make some parts uber-powerful/loud. But there's need to be more sophisticated textures that fill out the soundfield and that you're able to build up and take down. The genre isn't the same, but you might learn something about the technique studying a track like The Orichalcon's Raptor/FF7 mix "PlectraSubCity."

NO

First off, I thought I still had an SPC file on when playing this. The sounds used here are not sophisticated enough, especially compared to the source. Look into upgrading your sound library or finding ways to make your sounds more interesting and with an edge. EQ together with free samples or a softsynth or two could do the trick if you take the time to learn how to use them.

Not too bad of an arrangement but not very adventurous either. Look into really evolving the source, not just alter it slightly. Also, as Larry said, the track really needs to be going somewhere and be more dynamic. Follow his advice and check out TO's mix. You might also benefit from visiting #ocrwip on irc.enterthegame.com or checking out the WIP forums here at OCR.

Good luck with your next submission.

NO

I always thought this was a weird, uniftting theme for this game, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

There were some a couple cool ideas in this arrangement. The stop-start section was neat, and the solo following it worked very well. Unfortunately, the rest is quite similar to the original song, sounds and structure both. The opening and ending are nearly identical. It needs more personalization in texture and some new elements like that solo. You did have some original elements, but I'd like to see you go further.

Definitely seconding Mattias' suggestion to upgrade your sounds. What's here sounds pretty cheap. A decent softsynth library would spruce this up a lot, but you might be able to do it with free samples, if you're choosy. The song also lacks dynamic contrast, and that comes down partly to production, partly arrangement. The overall volume needs more of a rise and fall. When the drums come in, the spectrum is nearly full already. The drums should fill in the gaps that the listener is waiting for. Finally, I'd be careful exposing the gated synth at 1:48. It's quite a bit sharp and on its own it's jarring to hear. You may just want to pitch it down anyway.

You've got some room to grow. Stick around, hang out in the Work in Progress forums, and most importantly, just keep working on music. Skills grow from there.

NO