*NO* Super Dodge Ball 'Somebody Get Me Some Water'

Liontamer

Too liberal...again? You're breaking my heart, Kunal - LT

Just wanted to submit my mix "Somebody Get Me Some Water". This is in conjunction with the Super Dodgeball Project that was just released by the Bad Dudes. The direct download page is http://www.noballsnoglory.net.

LT Edit (7/22): Got a breakdown from Kunal!

Main melodies: 0:58, 2:14

Ending: 2:58

Anything in between these time cues were development needed to counter or lead up to the source material.

Instead of using the source ostinato, I came up with my own (lends itself better to the modal movements in the piece). If you start from that perspective, that will explain why it feels so different from the source even though the melodies are the same. Sorry it took me so long to get this to you! I hope it helps!

-Kunal

PS. Like with a lot of my arrangements, you may have to listen to it once or twice to hear the source, but the meat of it is there :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

I remember Mustin wanted this to DP when we pimped the "No Balls, No Glory" release, but when I checked it, the arrangement didn't pass the sniff test, hence my need for a formal submission. Might as well get the others to weigh in.

http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/S/Super%20Dodge%20Ball.nsf - Track 5

Awesome track, beautifully put together, but it's getting too liberal; much the same situation as Kunal's Silent Hill series mix from Zombies Rocked My Neighbors that ended up doing its own thing too much. For a 216-seconds long track, it needs the source for more than 108 seconds to get my YES.

Opened up with a really liberal, simplified bubbly pattern inspired by the rhythm of the the source's opening it seems. Too liberal though to overtly connect it, IMO. Built up into some added instrumentation at :13. Nice string cameo at :28. The flute at :44 sounded inspired by the source melody, but only tied to the source overtly from :58-1:05. Source seemed liberally arranged from 1:12-1:22, before going into a more verbatim shot from 1:27-1:34. Seemed like just original stuff from 1:41-2:14. More India theme action from 2:14-2:21 and 2:29-2:35. :51-:55 of the source was liberally arranged from 2:58-3:16.

Right now, I'm not even breaking 30 seconds of overt usage. Obviously there was other more liberal stuff that's loosely based on the source, most importantly the first 57 seconds with the bubbly synth, but it's too loose of a connection, IMO. If someone wants to go the theory route and explain how it's more strongly connected to the phrasing of the source, they certainly can.

This just seems too far off, even being super generous. As far as I can tell, you just get whiffs of the theme. So, it's a great track inspired by the India theme, but it does its own thing too much at the expense of using the source in a dominant, overt way. I'm only going to hold out on a vote until I hear from the artist.

EDIT (7/22): Kunal's timestamps gave some basic info on where usage starts, but ultimately jive with what I found, and I felt the overall arrangement was too liberal. Love the track, but that can't be the criteria for approval. :'-(

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Great textures in this piece. Interesting effects on the drums and percussive synths - they make a unique blend with the more traditional instruments. Love the tabla coming in at 1:42. There are a lot of little moments like that that jump out.

Unfortunately... yeah. Larry's breakdown looks spot-on. I listened to this several times and barely heard India in there. Sounds like the same mode, same root, but just not much of the theme. I can see how you were inspired by it, but I'm not hearing enough connection. I would love to be wrong about the source usage here, in case another judge wants to argue in favor of this mix.

NO

Can't do anything else than agree with the rest. Even though I heard some India it was not enough. Even WHEN I heard it it was WAY back in the mix. Sadly, that isn't enough to meet our arrangement criteria.

Too bad on a mix so strong on character and musicality, wonderful textures Kunal! Hopefully the next submission will be less liberal. Then I will smile while writing my YES.

NO