*NO* Mega Man X6 'Eternity'

Liontamer

Mixer Name: Bren

Forum Username: Bren

Game Remixed: Megaman X6

Track Remixed: Weapon Factory - http://youtube.com/watch?v=F9BIIF2CxIU

I did some research, but unfortunately could not find the name of the original composer.

This is kind of a chilled out remix of the weapon factory theme (aka Infinity Mijinion's stage). I recently finished a cover of the song and decided to use that file as a template for this remix. Not much else to say other than I think X6 has a very good soundtrack and I'm surprised so few have attempted to remix it.

By the way, I've included a link to the original posted on youtube. The quality isn't the greatest, but no important elements of the song are lost in the compression from what I can tell.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Capcom Music Generation Rockman X1~6 - 510 "Infinity Mijinion Stage"

Gotta agree with some of the criticisms given on the WIP board. It's certainly possible to substantively rearrange a track well while using similar sounds, but it's a tougher sell.

I'm not sure there's a situation where that electric guitar synth first used at :15 would even sound good; it's not meant to sound like a real guitar, sure, but the sequencing was too robotic-sounding. "Infinity Mijinion Stage" clearly flows a lot more smoothly.

Wasn't feeling the melody of the verse and chorus being near-verbatim with the original from :40-1:23. The guitar in the back was also near-verbatim with the original. Moved over at 1:23 to the soloing-style section of the original (:46-1:13), only with no melody, so it's just arranging the foundation. The bubbly string-like synth was new, but the guitar stuff was verbatim again.

Arrangement retreads :13's section at 1:51 only now with some meaty electric guitar stuff to fill out the back more. Sounds like a pure cut-and-paste, which was a shame. 2:47's section included the soloing from :46-1:13 of the original, only with a different (somewhat rigidly sequenced) lead.

Yeah, the beats are new and there's some new embellishments, but I'm kind of surprised you came to me with this wondering whether or not it was too conservative. The answer is clearly yes; so many parts were carried over wholesale. You can't just write some new beats, than change a few instruments but keep the melodic and countermelodic writing wholesale and expect it to have a shot. Decent cover, but clearly not interpretive enough.

NO

Wow, I thought I listened to the source there for a moment.

Your instrumentation is very close to the source and the arrangement is not much to talk about. You've basically just adopted the original song an added some really minor changes. The fake-guitar lead did come off as robotic and well.. fake :) The backing guitar sounded surprsisingly real, even though I can hear it's not.

I agree with most of larry's point about the arrangement, cut-and-paste doesn't help an arrangement this conservative. The production was decent but some balance and fleshed out textures would've helped a lot. The lead sounds and drums all have a low-quality feel to them, balancing on the edge to bad GM. This probably would have made a good in-game BGM though.

I can basically just echo Larry here; Decent cover, but clearly not interpretive enough.

NO

The arrangement is too conservative. It is possible to use similar instrumentation and substantially personalize a remix, but it needs to change the structure, chords, melody, etc. I didn't hear too much of that here. 0:40-1:23 is very similar to the original, and the following section basically takes out the guitar from the original. Drums were a good concept, but I found them repetitive and plodding. The sounds there were also a little thin, especially the snare.

For the most part, I think it's well put-together but just not interpretative enough. I'd love to hear you take on another remix.

NO