minor boot issues

Mia

First off, my specs can be found here: http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T6410

I bought this computer off a guy somewhat used, and added a few of my own parts to it (M-Audio soundcard, bigger RAM stick, one SATA hard drive and one IDE hard drive).

Problem number one is that it's having trouble consistently booting to the right drive. The drive I have the OS installed on is the IDE drive it came with. When it starts, it displays a big emachines 'e' logo with two options, BIOS and boot menu. For a while, boot menu would list all the options, but BIOS would only show the SATA drive half the time (EDIT: let me rephrase, about half the time, it would show the SATA drive but nothing else). Now though, it only detects the SATA drive no matter what, that is when they're all plugged in.

Right now I'm booted to the IDE hard drive it came with (we'll call it IDE 1) and this is possible because I unplugged the other IDE (my old one, we'll call it IDE 2). I'm not sure exactly how that helps, but it does.

My BIOS lists 8 possible drive slots, "IDE" channels 1 through 4 (which are actually the SATA plugs), and IDE channel 5 and 6 masters and slaves. A DVD drive is plugged in as channel 6 master and that consistently gets recognised, but channel 5 is entirely ignored when everything's plugged in.

Feel free to ask for any important pieces of information I may have forgotten.

As far as other problems go... I changed the name of the administrator account, and now whenever the computer starts up, I get a message saying "The system could not log you on." Just a minor little annoyance. And the user folder in documents and settings is still under the old name. Anything I can do about this? Though it's not really a big problem or anything.

Make sure the master/slave setup for your IDE drives is correct. Check the jumpers on each drive and make sure they are correct and the position on the IDE cable is also correct. Personally I use cable select and put the drives where they need to be (closer one being master? been a while actually..). Also, never hurts to make sure your bios is up to date.

Just for the record, make sure the hard drives and the DVD drive are on seperate cables. Fast drive and slow drive on the same cable is bad.

As for the "could not log on" error, did you change the Administrator account name or the name of an account with administrator access?

DVD drive is on a seperate cable. Main IDE is set to master, other one though I'm missing the jumper, so I'll have to find one. I believe the cables are plugged appropriately, based on what you said about the closer one being master.

As far as the account name change, I'm not sure as I've never been entirely clear on the details of the administrator account thing. It's name was "Nimskit" before I changed it.. now it's Reckless Gint. How would I go about checking?

Account name thing: I applied a password to the account and set the screensaver to password protect upon resume.. When I came back it displays not the welcome screen exactly but a login window with the account's previous name (nimskit) filled in. Entering the password and hitting enter got me in.. so apparently it's still called both.. right now..

Any help?