*NO* Command & Conquer 'Have Mercy'

Liontamer

Dear OCRemix,

I would like you to consider my next remix…..with care ;)

Contact Information

§ DarkMessenger

§ Niels van der Leest

§ info@nielsvanderleest.nl

§ www.nielsvanderleest.nl

§ Forum user ID: 19586

Submission Information

§ Song Titel: “Have Mercy”

§ Link to song:

§ Game: Command & Conquer Renegade

§ Remixed song: “No Mercy”

§ Composer: Frank Klepacki

§ Publisher: EA

§ System: PC

I made this remix for a MOD of Unreal tournament 3….”UT3 ?” I hear you think…yes J

Renegade X is a C&C Renegade based mod for Unreal Tournament 3.

Summary:

Renegade X (formerly known as Renegade 2007) is a mod dedicated to recreating C&C Renegade in the new generation engine, the Unreal Engine 3. We all believe the Command and Conquer series is a very special one, and its fans have been following its games for over a decade now. C&C has been one of the most successful videogame series in the RTS Genre. Our modding team believes that C&C Renegade is truly a hidden gem in the FPS genre.

Anyway, just last week I decided to make myself an account on MODDB. After a few days I got in touch with the person behind this mod asking me if I could do a remix of “No Mercy” for their media release….and so I did ;)

The original sounded very 80’s (which isn’t bad off course) but I wanted it to be a bit more boombastic.

I choose for an orchestra remix with additional guitars and all.

I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it.

Sincerely,

Niels van der Leest

info@nielsvanderleest.nl

www.nielsvanderleest.nl

www.myspace.com/nielsvanderleest

---------------------------------------------------------------

I could only find "No Mercy" on the Tiberian Dawn soundtrack (the original C&C), so I grabbed that one. Not even sure it was on the other versions, but I don't know the series well enough.

The Music of Command & Conquer - (02) "No Mercy"

The changes here sounded cool, including the new instrumentation for the melody. Nice new orchestral writing at :41. I also didn't like the melodic content of "No Mercy" being used so verbatim (e.g. compare :48-1:12 of the source to :50-1:14 of the mix) There were original sections added, and a lot of the writing under the verbatim melody section was modified, but the overall interpretation of the source melodies wasn't creative enough.

The drumwork sounded bland and thin, so the background didn't feel particularly fleshed out. It really undermined the bombastic energy you were going for (and achieved) with the arrangement in the foreground.

This is a good base, but the background writing needs to be improved to mesh with the energy of the orchestration, and the melody needs more interpretation and personalization.

NO (resubmit)

God, those samples in the source are awful. 80's indeed.

Pretty much agree with Larry on this one. Cool arrangement here, but it's not interpretative enough. The first thirty seconds of "No Mercy" sound pretty similar to your song, mood and notes. The guitar is a welcome addition, but I thought overall the song is too similar to the original. The drums are also weak and plodding compared to the rest of the instrumentation (which is quite good), but I think that similar mood and writing is what nixes this for me. Expand on the melody more and this one could pass.

NO (resubmit)

God, those samples in the source are awful. 80's indeed.

Don't be that way, they're wicked :3

The drums are a weak spot in your remix. They sound very weak and far back in the mix. The guitar is a cool addition but could use some high frequencies to sound less muddy. Actually it seems the mix in general sounds muddy. Brighten some stuff up here and there but be gentle with the EQ. Treat it like a woman. Aww yeaaahhh.

The arrangement is quite cool but I too have to echo on this one. This needs some more melodic interpretation to really shine. To get the drums and guitars on the same intensity-level as the orchestra (like larry pointed out) would also help a lot.

More interpretation and some production fixes and this will surely pass.

NO(resubmit)