*NO* Mega Man 3 'Submission Standards and Instructions'

Liontamer

Now that I've finally encountered it, I'm surprised no one's ever tried that name for a submission before - LT

Link to mp3:

Contact information:

Remixer name: Analogsound

Email: djsaekone@comcast.net

Website(s): www.djsaekone.com www.myspace.com/search4sound

User ID#: 24652

Submission information:

Sounds like Progressive/Trance. The game being remixed is Megaman 3. The song is from the title screen. I call this remix "Submission Standards and Instructions".

I think the original composer was Yasuaki Fujita ? I was inspired to make this after my friend reminded me about this website and after listening to other remixes on the site.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ha! I'll admit I laughed at the mix name.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9115 - Track 1 ("Title")

Interesting opening with some cool effects. Pretty lengthy original buildup, but this was a 5:22-long piece.

The theme finally showed up at 1:24, simplified and with rhythmic alterations. Really disliked the synth that faded in at 1:54, it was such a generic (and ugly) sound. Too bad it stuck around as the lead.

By 2:39, the track was dragging badly, having not gone more than a few measures into the actual source tune. It's a valid arrangement approach, but that didn't automatically make it an interesting, well-executed one. Beyond the halfway mark, there wasn't much substance when it came to the treatment of the source tune. 3:16 finally got there, before a changeup at 3:39. That didn't last long though, since the beats quickly returned at 3:54.

Besides using a more pleasing, less abrasive lead, you've really gotta develop the theme more than this and get the meat of the arrangement more quickly; that's the short of it.

NO

Best mix title yet. No contest.

The opening got to me, it's pretty damn groovy. Sounds a lot like Trentemøller but with a bit more punch. Nice sidechaining break at 1:01. I still think the intro needs some more hints to the original track to keep it from being drawn out.

The theme enters very minimalist at 1:24 but it fit the track very well. 1:54 is indeed an ugly synth and it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the track at all. Around the 3-minute mark you really want to hear a new element or some serious variations to get into this. Making some lively percussion like in the intro take a more central role could probably help but my biggest advice is to really work more with the melodies and counter melodies. This remix lacks good melodic interpretation.

I think it's a cool concept but you need to evolve this some more before it can get accepted. Really work with the source material. You can change some chords and melodies, add counter melodies, less repetitive beats and other elements to really spice this up. I'm also of the opinion that you could find a better leadsynth with relative ease. I'd love to have something like this on OCR so I hope you keep working on it, but this one isn't there yet.

NO

I think you've got a solid groove but a lot. of. repetition. There's small details but I don't feel they're substantial. I totally agree with Mattias that around the 3-minute mark I really wanted to hear some changes, if not before that. The groove holds the same too long, with minor changes, and the melody is pretty much playing the same thing for huge chunks of the song. I just wanted to see more variation all-around, and an intro that gets to the source sooner. Also thought the ending could have been trimmed.

Production was pretty good - like I said, I dug your groove. Can only echo previous comments about that synth at 1:54 though, not a great sound, notes were random, and it didn't sit well in the soundscape either. There's good stuff here, but you'll have to do some heavy modification for this to be accepted.

NO