Remix Info :

Game : The immortal (Sega Genesis)

Part of the game remixed : Combat music

Name of the remix : Sliced in Half

Link :

Thanx!

FUZZNEC

---------------------------------------------------------------

Good to hear from FuZZneK again, albeit with a slightly altered handle. Can't say I'm feeling this source at all, so let's see where it went.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=563 - "I Forbid You to Come Any Closer"

Hopefully the musician Js can offer better, more focused critique than I can on this one. I wasn't feeling the instrumentation choices at all. The beats brought in at :13 felt pretty empty. Dunno what you'd call the synth at :25, maybe a ghettoized electric guitar sample, I dunno. All of the sounds, patterns and effects sounded very vanilla and didn't have much synergy.

The soundscape was way too cluttered at 1:07, with the source melody that arrived struggling to be heard over the other elements. Instead of retreading that section nearly wholesale at 2:56, you could have come up with some other subtle variations to keep things fresh.

2:22 finally had something at least a little interesting with some effects, but the techniques/production still felt average; there was no hook.

Nothing's "terribly" done here, but the arrangement still wasn't cohesive, catchy, or well-developed. The end result was too bland. The composition needs more dynamic contrast and development, and the sound design & production needs to be more sophisticated.

NO

So, right of the bat the main chords bleed into eachother. Probably because of the delay. It makes it sound a lot more cluttered than it has to be. The choice of instruments is questionable too. You have one synth holding the track up and it's very thin. The mix is very lacking in low-frequencies too. The lead is both too quiet and in the same frequency as the main synth, this makes the soundscape even more cluttered.

Arrangement-wise this has some way to go. It's very repetitive because of the static use of instruments and lack of counter melodies. The break at 2:21 was quite cool but not enough to really lift this track above the bar. The beats also feels repetitive and plodding.

Try to really evolve the original track, arrange the source in a more sophisticated way. Try adding some counter-melodies, changes in textures/instrumentation and hooks. Good luck with your next submission!

NO

I didn't feel there was much to this. The textures hold pretty much the same past a point, and the lead is somewhat buried. I also think the instruments compete a lot and it would have served you to experiment more with sounds and try to find more complementary ones. In fairness, I think the initial synth that kicks off the song is pretty badass, but I was expecting stronger drums, a stronger lead, and more clarity. On top of that, the song needs to be more dynamic, more variation between sections.

AnSo is dead on that the delay makes the chords bleed. It's not a good effect here. I think you're gonna have to develop your skills more, dude. Keep working on that.

NO