Liontamer

-Contact Info-

ReMixer name: Txai

Email address: t_x_a_i@hotmail.com

Userid (number, not name) on our forums: 10937

-ReMix Info-

ReMix Title: Alteration of the Waterline

Name of game remixed: Super Mario 64

Name of individual song remixed: Dire, Dire Docks (underwater cave)

Comments: I've been working in this song for two years. Originally I had several different ideas for it: other transitions, endings... somehow I think it was the main reason it took me so long to finish.

My job is done. Now it's up to you guys to decide.

URL:

-Txai

--------------------------------------------------------------

Why is this encoded at 112kbps CBR? Use LAME VBR at least.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12246 - 09 "Dire, Dire Docks"

I liked the use of retro sounds to intro this. The texture at :28 was barebones & flimsy and the beats gradually added in didn't do much to change that. The brief slowdown from 1:05-1:09 had almost no purpose. Some of the sequencing needed work in terms of realism, mostly the strings. Some of the electrosynth stuff like at 4:16 & 4:32 sounded ugly; poor choices for the lead there.

There were so many issues here, but I'm just going to summarize. The arrangement in the foreground was at least interesting and you tried to vary and develop that stuff. The end result was too scattershot though, and the textures were lacked any depth whatsoever. Many of the samples were poor, and you could drive a truck through the empty space here.

You've at least somewhat got the right idea in terms of melodic arrangement. Somewhat. But you gotta keep learning, bro. You've got a long way to go.

NO

Mmm.. electro pop.

While it is a pretty cool concept this falls short in a number of areas. Some of the sounds are very very basic, while they could've worked with some better processing they end up sounding very thin. A good example is the melodic lead at 0:56. Overall the soundscape is very empty and could probably be fleshed out with some clever use of reverb and some richer sounds.

The arrangement is still quite good. There are many quirks and melodic interpretation. I didn't think the strings/horns worked in this setting though, especially not with samples like that. Consider making a pure-electro remix, I feel you have a flair for that if you find some fuller sounds.

As it is now, this isn't there yet but keep working and you'll get there some day. Good luck with your next submission!

NO

It was quite pleasant to listen to, and I thought you had a lot of neat ideas. There's the positives. The problem with having a lot of ideas is making them sound cohesive. I thought this was all over the place and too random, and I'm typically a fan of the random. Every ten seconds this changes styles and there's little continuity. Also, for every five ideas that work, there's a slowdown or a section like 4:16-4:28 that doesn't work. Definitely too much empty space in this too. Some extra reverb or thicker instruments would help.

Some of the instruments have quality issues, again, a problem of having so many ideas. Take a look at your drums especially. Basically you've got to take a more critical eye and remove sections that don't work as well, and replace instruments not as strong as the rest. I think with some tightening up this could be a very cool song.

NO