*NO* Metroid 'Item Discovery Song'

Liontamer

recorded by the band FOXHOUD in which i play trumpet

weapon pickup theme (metroid nes) arranged by me and jamaal sawyer for the band

i am ezana edwards this is my email

the mp3 is up on myspace.com/foxhoundmusic

it's a five second theme stretched out to eleven minutes the edit down it six. If you want the long version with extend guitar, trpt, and sax solos let me know the metroid theme kicks in at about 0:45

the original: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/metitem.mid

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://akumunsf.good-evil.net/M/Metroid.nsf - Track 8

A case where there's interpretation, but it ends up sounding Metroid-ish while changing the theme too much, then involves too much wholly original, non-game composition.

Stopwatch time - :45-:49, :55-:59, 1:05-1:10, 1:16-1:20, 2:26-2:28, 2:36-2:38, 2:47-2:49, 2:57.5-3:00, 3:07.5-3:11, 4:20-4:23 (very liberal), 4:40-4:43 (very liberal), 5:25-5:30, 5:36-5:40, 5:46-5:51, 5:56-6:04 - There could be more, so I won't add it up, but nowhere near 50% overt source usage

The first instance of the theme being used was interpreted from :45-:54, but for such a theme, I felt the notes were changed too much after :45-:49 to be considered not too liberal. If you other Js feel the interpretation isn't too liberal, then you've got :45-1:26 & 5:25-6:04, then all those short bits cited in the middle.

Great jazz piece, great performance (enjoyed the freestyling from 1:26-2:18 and 3:00-5:04). But too liberal an interpretation that doesn't use the source tune enough. Would be great vis-a-vis the standards if this integrated more Metroid themes or came up with extended variations of the theme that were happening throughout the piece. With such a short theme, it's easy to go off and do your own thing most of the time. A good guideline (and honestly the only way I'll ever approve stuff myself) is when the arrangement explicitly involves the game music source material more than 50% of the time. It's been done for Pac-Man, which had a short theme, so it could be done for this. But that wasn't the intent here, so I'll assume it's a moot point.

Awesome stuff, and a good Metroid-inspired piece; just not something that matches the guidelines we have. I'm keeping it. I'd love to hear you guys with another game arrangement that uses the source tune as a more integral part of the track.

NO

Love the atmosphere here and the freestyling. It's a very smooth listen. I love how you used the item pickup song in the places you did - extremely creative usage, especially those short bursts to cap the phrase. I feel disappointed to say NO to this, but it's definitely too liberal in the other sections, which are the overwhelming majority of the song.

If you worked another Metroid song into this and used that as the basis of the other sections, I could see this passing. But I'd totally understand if you didn't want to. The piece is great as is, but to me not right for OCR. Love to see something a little more connected to the source from you guys.

NO

I can't do much but agree with my beloved brown colleagues Larry and Vinnie.

Production is all good, I'd love a little more presence in the drums but that's a highly personal opinion. It's mostly balanced and my only complaints are personal ideas about how instruments should sound, no dealbreakers here.

It's a very cool piece. You're all very talanted musicians, that's for sure. The solos are very nice and the flow you guys get together is admirable. What you actually did to the source when it was present was also pretty damn cool. Sadly this is too liberal for OCR, and with such a short source it's not that strange either. I'd love to see what you could've done with a longer source or if you'd incorporated another source in the mix. Solos are all well and good but what I'd really want to see (and I know you can pull off) is more arranged material.

I hope you guys keep submitting and that your next piece is less liberal because this is some great stuff and I would love to see it at OCR!

NO