*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Love & The Trigger'

Liontamer

Submission: Love & the Trigger

* ReMixer name:LastEncore

* Real name: Dominic Hines & Hassan Boyce <<< Hassan doesn't have a OC login and such but we would like it to just be formally known as a HD track.

* Email address: lastencore@hotmail.com

* Userid :24806

Game Arranged: Chrono Trigger

Individual Song Arranged: A Prayer to the Road that Leads

Composer:Yasunori Mitsuda

Link to it:

Additional info and stuff-

Umm, hi. This is LastEncore which is exactly one half of the producer/songwriter duo of "HD." We really don't do remixes very often as we try very hard to compose new stuff for people to listen to. So I "Encore" stumbled upon this site years ago and my friends and such always tried to get me to make a remix to submit but i never would simply because I always felt when remixing a lost a lot of freedom. So one day I start playing Chrono Trigger for the first time ever and hit 'A' on this organ in this church and it hums these absolutely beautiful, dark, relaxing chords for about 10 seconds. I immediately turn it off and reload fight the bosses again just to play this tune again. After that I just had to create a song around it. Since it was simply chord changes I was still able to retain lots of melodic freedom throughout and was able to compose something nearly classical in the background. After intensively creating the melodic lines of it I move on and can't decide what kind of drums I want on it. Well that is where Mr. Boyce comes in. I layed down a basic step for the beat complete with the full percussive layout and he just took and ran with it. So this is how it turned out. As my first submission I'm really just rushing to get it out there and hopefully the mastering and EQ isn't to bad. So uuh love the site and everything it stands for! Peace. Based on the success of this I may remake some of my other favorites...unlikely though.

Brief song overview: This is an RnB/HipHop/Trance remake of a small chord progression in a great game. So I don't know how many of those exist but I also had to remix this since no one else has. Got to love that! Also this song is arranged in a way that it's almost MainStream as if Vocals could be placed above it following a RNB setup. Hope someone likes it...

Inspiration: The chords were just Brilliant and had to be made into a full length track. Honestly I still haven't got pass this part of the game. Sad but True.

Production: It really was as simple as me hearing it twice and playing it on my keyboard I keep beside me. Just linked it up to fruity loops and took it as original piece of mine. Got to work on it and finished it up rather quickly. Spent a week or two fine tuning the details and changing some instruments. All in all it was very easy to make and just flowed out of me. enjoy it i hope. I love this song and my Girlfriend loves it even more. So it tries to be something fresh and original while trying to follow some very hollow footsteps laid by the chords. So yeah I'm going to submit it now...I think I got everything I was suppose to get.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "A Prayer to the Road that Leads" (ct-116.spc)

Yeah, pretty much anything attempting to arrange this needs to use that 3-note pattern religiously and build around it, which you've done, IMO. We'll see how the others feel about it, but despite adding a lot of new stuff, the source tune was present the entire time and stood out enough to not be marginalized. Good dropoff at 3:27 and awesome close at 3:40.

I'm definitely not against a good hip-hop instrumental, but several of the synth choices were grating/abrasive, and the textures were on the thin side, so those were really the only things I'd refine to make this totally cohesive and passable, IMO. This could be shortened a bit and not lose anything, but this was surprisingly substantive stuff for a 4-minute mix of a 3-second source.

NO (refine/resubmit)

Lots going on in this production, some very cool effects and instrument choices. My major complaint is that, like you said, vocals could be placed right on top of it. I think they should! There's an empty space in this song where there should be some kind of a fat lead synth or vocal. Everything in this sounds like a background instrument and I think it needs more direction. It doesn't help that the texture is a little static; this would really be balanced by a prominent lead. Rapping or R&B vocals over this would sound amazing. Otherwise, I think making the gated synth more prominent and more melodic (playing more than two or three notes) might suffice.

That's pretty much all I got. Remixing a source that is just three chords is tough, but I think this works. It just needs a little more to it.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Here I was pissed the SPC cut off after a second and then the source just had one more chord? Damn..

Bold move to arrange this source. Though I must say you've done so rather well. The chords ARE present all the way through and what you've built around it is cool. Still this is quite borderline because the chords seem a bit altered, like you left out something from the second and last chord.. Then again, sometimes I hear it in the melody, but it wouldn't hurt to do the chords EXACTLY as they are at least once to show the listener that THIS is where it's at.

The textures seem on the thin side. Especially for something this much hip-hop I expected some phatter synths if you know what I mean. Sounds very much like a backing track, not that strange given the source, but something could probably be added on top of this. A more prominent lead synth or vocals would be quite awesome.

Arrangement goes a long way with a three chord source. Still this needs some beefing up production-wise and wouldn't suffer from a hook of some kind and maybe some straight source chord just to show the listener what it's about. Get in touch with a rapper right now btw! Anyway, just a bit more work and you've got it.

NO(resubmit)