*NO* Street Fighter 2 'You're in the Army Now'

Liontamer

Hello,

I am submitting a remix of the Guile Stage from Street Fighter 2 called, "You're In The Army Now".

Here's the link to download the song:

Here is my contact info:

Remixer Name: SynaMax

Email: maxpetrosky@yahoo.com

Userid: 24901

Name of game: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior

Name of song: Guile Stage

This remix was written in FL Studio 8 and was inspired by '80s music, especially by music written on the famous Fairlight CMI sampler. A couple of samples from the Fairlight CMI are in this song, especially the "ARR1" - which is probably the most famous sample from the Fairlight library. 26 separate channels make up the mix. The explosion heard through out the remix is from freesound.org and is licensed under a Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License. The sample itself is called USAT BOMB.wav and was created by sandyrb.

Thank you very much,

Max Petrosky

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sf2 - "Guile" (sf2-08.spc)

Aside from the lead synth, quiet countermelody and drums, you don't have much going on, so the texture was pretty empty despite the volume. Many of the sounds were abrasive as well, especially that generic synth lead. The metal clangs were a cool concept but sounded out of key with the melody, so they sounded awkward to me.

Good structuring of the tempo matching the marching sample at 2:37, IMO, though when the track got fuller the marching sample got muddied and obscured. As noted, 3:01-3:25 was pretty muddy and indistinct sounding; I see the cool delay effect going on with that glassy lead, but you've gotta clean things up there.

The melodic interpretation was pretty low, which was a negative, but you did at least have the right idea with the countermelodic interpretation and new drum writing to try and change the mood. To sum it up: experiment with some new sounds for that bleh synth lead and whatever else wasn't working, flesh out the texture by adding one or two more parts (perhaps some sort of pad), make sure the soundscape doesn't get too muddy during the fuller sections, and get more interpretive with the melody. Definitely worth another shot if you're interested.

NO

The gated snare is very 80's. It is mixed very loudly, almost louder than the lead, and is used to thicken up the sparse texture. The metallic sound is used to add more rhythm but does sound quite harsh and off-key. There isn't much added to the original guile theme, this needs a lot of fleshing out.

An interesting mix, but needs more work in terms of production and original melodic elements. I like the concept, but the execution needs more. Keep working on it.

NO (resub)

Definitely some good ideas here. Reminded me a lot of 80's Depeche Mode, with the stark mood and the use of unusual percussion, the clanks and the marching. (The marching breakdown was a particularly good bit, by the way.) But it doesn't sound complete. The lead synth was lonely and I think some additional instruments near that synth's range playing countermelodies would have added a lot. There isn't a lot of melodic development going on this song anyhow. 3:06 sounds more full than the rest of the song, so I'd recommend taking a look at what you've got happening there and maybe think about applying that to more of the song (but be careful of the mud, cut down on those low, muddy frequencies). I also thought some of the sound choices were iffy, like the short guitar hook you've got going in the right channel towards the end. It seemed out of place.

The snare is too loud and should be pushed back. I also think the lead synth could be less generic; even some effects on it would spice it up. We've probably given you enough things to work on. Get to it! :smile:

NO