*NO* Mega Man 3 'Ambient Current'

Liontamer

* Auranova

* Steve Nino

* Auranova@Gmail.com

* www.myspace.com/auran0va

* Megaman 3

* Spark Man's Theme

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

* I decided to try something new with this. Since I usually do stuff that's more upbeat, EG Trance...metal. I was in the mood for something slower and more ambient/relaxing sounding, this was also my first attempt at adding some sort of solo, a piece of original work by me that actually fit into the song.

here is the link to the file!

you can download it there as well as listen to it right off the web

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9115 - Track 8 ("Sparkman Stage")

Good build for the intro, albeit lengthy; given the length of the track, this had the leeway to do that. Melody arrived at :54, fairly straightforward, albeit personalized reasonably well to start. 1:49 moved over into the chorus. For something relatively minimalist like this, the new supporting writing was good, but didn't feel like it was compensating for such a straightforward shot with the melodic interpretation. Once you listen longer, you realize the melodic interpretation was limited.

Some of the writing of the glassy lead from 2:44-3:11 sounded like it was clashing with the rest of the instrumentation. Didn't sound very melodious to me. The bass-focused writing from 3:11-3:39 also felt meandering. We'll see how the others feel, and I hate to say it myself, but when the Spark Man theme wasn't in play, the writing wasn't clicking, IMO.

I wish the core groove evolved more, as you basically heard the same patterns the whole way through. 3:39 cut-and-paste the previous iteration of the source, but with additional elements around it. Repetitive on one hand, but at least going for some dynamic contrast compared to the beginning. The ending cut out abruptly at 5:04.

The overall mood and atmosphere were good. But for a 5-minute long mix, you've gotta do more creatively, Steve, which is definitely possible while still retaining the subtle, chill feel you were going for. New rhythmic ideas or alterations/variations to the melody would have been great; same with the beatwork and bassline writing. It doesn't need to overhaul things, so don't go overboard if you revisit this. Besides possibly trying some ideas like that, reworking some of the original writing that sounded off would smooth this out a bit. Good base so far.

NO (resubmit)

The textures here were cool, especially your lead, but the song repeated itself too much and at times, didn't sound that melodious. I wasn't a fan of the way the chorus was handled, changing the chords. The new chords you created there didn't really click for me. I also thought some of the 2:31-3:11 new writing was a little random - it wasn't that compelling, and couldn't hold its own once the main melody left. Try to make those sections more melodious. To combat the repetition, I'd recommend changing up the drums sometimes, and add a couple sections that really drastically change the textures in place; maybe a section with no drums.

Production is pretty nice, I think you've got a pretty solid base there. Just need to focus on the arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

Oh man...the quiet pads are playing a minor third on a major chord at :59...this mistake is repeated . Why does that arpeggiated line cut out suddenly at 1:32? and then come back in a few seconds later? There are too many instruments introduced separately, they never have a chance to layer. There's a lot of crunch at times (like 3:02). THere's very little harmonic consideration given in the arrangement.

NO

And that minor 3rd appears EVERY TIME