* xela89

* Alex Freniere

* awfreniere@sbcglobal.net

* www.myspace.com/windinthedreamcastle

* userid: 9279

Submission Information

* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

* Spirit Temple

* First remix! I have always liked static, almost droning backgrounds so that's where I started with the cello. I used delay in post production to spice up the guitar track. With only two instruments, I found myself needing to fill up a lot of sonic space, and the delay did that. Rig: Gibson Les Paul->Mesa Boogie Rectoverb->SM57->DMP3 preamp->Audiophile 24/96->Cubase

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12209 - 69 "Spirit Temple"

Some bad distortion at :45, exacerbated by the delay effect; similar issue with a click/pop at 2:11 doing the same thing. The 8-note cello melody doesn't sound like anything that's explicitly from "Spirit Temple", so that's out. It's the guitar work that's supposed to provide the connection, and I hear some similarities, but that's basically it.

With a source like that one, it's really easy to just do something that sounds "inspired by" rather than doing an overtly arranged take on it. Cool track, and an enjoyable listen, but the arrangement is too liberal to be recognizable and the idea isn't developed regardless. No dice vis-a-vis the standards.

NO

I need to echo Larry here because he said it all. Some bad distortion/clicks, check your levels when recording! Still quite a cool soundscape.

Doesn't have very much to do with Spirit Temple though. An enjoyable and interesting piece but not OCR material, sorry. Go take a good look at them there Submission Standards & Instructions and get back to me :)

NO

I like the piece a lot in a vacuum, but like my fellow judges I thought the connection was weak. The cello handles the same chords as the original, but the melody really isn't close. It's tricky, because the melody of the original sounds pretty improvised and what you've done with the guitar sounds pretty improvised. On some level, that is a connection and I can see how you were inspired but I just feel like any number of pieces could fit that. I don't really have any suggestions for you, because this piece is pretty well-formed, and making it less liberal would take away a lot of your concept. Sorry, man.

NO