*NO* Final Fantasy 11 Online 'Rolanberry Fields (Piano Solo)'

Liontamer

Your ReMixer name: XenoCross

Your real name: Alexander Choeng

Your email address: choengalex@yahoo.com

Your website: n/a

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 8117

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy XI

Name of individual song(s) arranged and sequenced: Rolanberry Fields

I used to play FFXI online for about 3 years under the name Oreh (taru paladin yeahhh) on the Gilgamesh server and rolanberry fields is one of my favorite tune. I was disappointed to see that this track was not selected for the latest piano collection in the final fantasy series. Therefore, I decided to arrange this piece for piano myself. I've enclosed sheet music along with the piano arrangement and the original version.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Rolanberry Fields (piano solo)" isn't a creative title. :lol: C'mon man, hook it up with something unique.

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFXI_psf2.rar - 111 "Rolanberry Fields"

The sound was on the muddy side; I'd argue that was a bit of a negative coupled with the piano sound not being as rich/realistic sounding as possible, but still listenable.

Arrangement-wise, this was well adapted for piano, but the adaptation could have stood to be more interpretive, IMO. Perfectly fine for Final Fantasy XI Piano Collections, but no-go for me in relation to the standards. The second iteration of the source was comparatively stronger in terms of interpretation, but wasn't enough to carry it. Though I enjoyed this overall, dynamically, this could have been more interesting; as is, this basically had 1 gear and ended up plodding.

Some of the dissonance (e.g. 1:45-1:50, 2:44-2:53) sounded pretty off-putting, and I'm not sure how that would enhance the performance in any way. Perhaps an artistic choice, but it didn't work, IMO.

If you'd be willing to spice this up with more dynamic contrast and even more interpretation beyond adapting this for the instrument, Alex, this could shine.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

To contrast Larry, I thought this was interpretative enough. The melody is kept pretty intact, as well as the rhythm of the left-hand part, but the chords are totally different. This has a much more unsettled feel, culminating in the dissonant sections that close it out. There's also some new changes in rhythms halfway through, but before that, the song veers dangerously close to being plodding, like Larry mentioned. The rhythm and volume is too even; one gear is a good way to describe it. This is a tough decision for me. I think I get what you're trying to do with the piece, but I thought the changes didn't improve the song. The left-hand gets a little meandering and bland with the new chords - when the more melodic 1:51 section came in, it felt a lot stronger, though it started to get conservative there. I think something a little more dynamic and melodic is what I'm looking for here; mileage might vary for other judges.

The piano wasn't as clear as it could be, but I think it was good enough on that end. Good luck with this vote. I found it difficult to call, so I could see others leaning your way.

NO

• 1 month later...

Tough call.

The piano sounds a bit thin but what really bothers me is the over-use of the sustain pedal. Everything blends together in a not-so-nice way, especially when you're handling so many dissonances in the chords and arpeggios. 1:36-1:41 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. You have to let it up at the end of phrases to keep different harmonic content from bleeding into eachother. LET THE PEDAL GO MAN!

Arrangement's interesting. The dissonances would probably have worked if you didn't hold down the pedal all the time but now they do not. I thought the arrangement was interpretive enough with the new chords and mood but it's all dragged down by the flat performance (and the constant use of the sustain pedal, I can't say this enough times..) Some more dynamic contrasts, like Larry said, would've been welcome but not necessary.

I don't feel comfortable passing this yet but you have a good thing going. Keep working on your playing/sequencing together with refining the arrangement some more. Good luck!

NO(resubmit