*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Eternal Earth'

Liontamer

# ReMixer name : Eien

# real name : Alex R

# email address : sashokr@hotmail.com

Game: Final Fantasy 6

Track: Terra

Artist: Nobuo Uematsu

Comments: I am a Trance and House DJ/Producer and a long-time FF fan, which is why I decided to make a Trance remix of one of my favorite songs. The title is "Eternal Earth." Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Tina" (ff6-201.spc)

7:04-long mix, so a long buildup was expected. The bassline was clearly arranging the source to start, but it wasn't very audible.

The overall groove was very repetitive, but there were some dropoffs and buildups to provide a dynamic curve. Rather lonely plucked strings sample handling the Terra melody at 3:02-5:57. The melody itself wasn't interpreted beyond the instrumentation choice, and went on for quite a while, which ultimately dragged on. Nonetheless, there was some subtle escalation from more parts gradually coming in.

I liked the overall mood, Alex. I've heard a billion Terra variations, but none going for this kind of style, so that was good. Provided the Terra melody on the plucked string had actual interpretative substance, and the arrangement evolved a bit more substantively rather than using the same parts and just adding/subtracting them, I could get behind this. But you need to take it to the next level; that's definitely something I think you can do without disrupt the subdued take on the theme here.

NO (resubmit)

Interesting sound choices, very minimal. I think the kick takes up a bit too much space with that reverb, practically all of the low-end gets drowned and everything is pumping. Sidechain compression is all good but many elements (the belltype pad for example) are pumping in a very unpleasant way. With such a sparse arrangement some more focus on melodic elements (like at least the bass) would probably make this feel less repetitive. The mixing was quite awkward too, the instruments sounded quite cheap and everything was over-compressed.

The beats are very simple and repetitive. Some changes here and there would really help. Hi-hats, precussion, changes in the static pattern, whatever! Even for a dancefloor this just takes too much time to evolve and when it does it's incredibly sparse and very close to the source. For a 7+ minute remix I was expecting something more than straight source and one or two backing instruments.

All in all I think this needs a lot of work to pass. Get creative with the source and work hard with the production. Compare your remix with those getting posted on the site nowadays to see what we're looking for in an arrangement. Hopefully that will give you a general idea anyway. Good luck with your next submission!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like the treatment of the source in this. The bassline is a weak connection to the source - the rhythm isn't the same (as far as I can tell), and for the first minute, the Terra chords haven't come in yet, meaning that there's absolutely no tie. I guess the thing is that the bassline in the original just plays the root, so the rhythm is really what distinguishes it. Once you lose the rhythm, you're just playing the chords. Given that the verbatim melody is the only other tie, and it plays for three minutes, I don't think this is connected enough to the source.

Even putting that aside, for a sparse song, this needs more detail. The patterns play on auto-pilot far too long, and it needs some new percussion patterns, instruments, something. I realize it's going for a minimal approach, but this is too much so. Some warm pads would also fill in the lacking mid-lower areas of the soundscape, while keeping things minimal. I'd also have preferred a lead that didn't overlap with the bellpad so much.

Production was the strong suit here, and the mood and the groove were good. I thought the pumping of the bell pad was intentional and a good effect for variety.

Sorry if I came down on this hard, Alex, but I think the arrangement needs an overhaul before we could accept it.

NO