*NO* Mega Man 2 'Rave on the Roof'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: DJ SymBiotiX

E-mail: djsbx@hotmail.com

Userid: 15925

Name of Game Arranged: Megaman 2

Name of Songs Arranged: Intro, Boss Battle (Not sure if those are the actual names, but its easy enough to figure out which ones I mean).

Link To Song:

Comments: Alright, well at first this was just supposed to be a dance mix of the mm2 intro for an anime convention that my friend was DJing at. After working on it for a while, I really enjoyed where it was going and decided to add more of myself into the mix. One day, out of nowhere I decided to throw in a bit of the boss battle music which I think came out really well. This remix was definitely the most fun to make out of any I have done before, and I really hope you guys enjoy it. (also note some sweet ass megaman 2 sound effects around 2:25 :P).

Happy Reviewing :D

----------------------------------------------------------------

I won't be very eloquent about it, but I'll try to articulate what wasn't quite clicking here.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/9114 - Tracks 1, 2 & 14

There's 4 seconds of silence at the beginning that you need to trim off. I thought the track was mixed too loud overall, mostly 2:54-on sounding a bit grating on the ears. The strings in the background were marginalized during the intro.

The tempo gradually increased at :52. Some notes seemed off-key at 1:05, 1:06 & later at 2:08. Moved over into a fairly straightforward genre adaptation of the second source at 1:11. The SFX from 2:47-2:48 was too loud. I liked 3:19-3:44, though I wish there had been more melodic interpretation. Moving back into the first source at 3:44 for the finish, the take on it was too generic for the genre, IMO.

Some portions of the track were already moving in the right direction in terms of interpretation and creativity, but other areas (e.g. 1:11-1:50, 3:46-4:10) felt like bland covers given how conservatively the melodies were used. That approach works better when the other components formed more interesting textures, like 2:40-3:18.

A lot of the sound choices and production techniques felt generic; stuff like the saws were a good example (e.g. 2:15-2:40). This is a good base so far; some parts are fine, but others comes off lacking. You can make this even more interpretive beyond the genre adaptation, and more creative-sounding with the production.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, I like this, but you've got some problems to iron out. Feels like for every good thing you've got going, there's one little issue that follows it. The intro had a cool, ethereal quality to it, but remained soft even when the percussion came in as loud as it ever gets in the song. Pretty jarring hearing those first few snares - take those down in volume and maybe filter them a little lower. 1:11 was practically a new song, which was again strange to hear. The new chords were a cool idea but the texture was pretty generic, especially the lead. Over the course of the song, that lead wears out its welcome. Again, more to like following that with the percussion switch and riffing on the B section melody of the intro, followed by strange note choices at 2:09, like the bass missed the chord change. Boss battle kept up the hi-energy, and I liked some of the minor effects and in-game FX you used there. I thought there was enough interpretation here between the new chords, backing parts, structure, and melody alterations in parts.

If you can fix the problem areas Larry and I've listed, and spruce up the more generic 1:11-1:50 and 3:46-4:10 and the lead, I think this has a good shot at passing, for me. You've got the energy level and groove where they need to be.

NO (resubmit)

Interesting soundscape in the intro. Strings were so-so and could easily have been replaced with a pad doing the same thing. It was very reverb-heavy but it kinda worked as an intro. The drums were a bit too loud here and ruined the mood and "build-up quality" quite a bit. The build-up to the main part could've been handled a bit better actually.. the bass landed on an off note and the delay always sounds strange when changing the tempo if it's synced. Check that out.

Some leads could be changed from time to time to keep it fresh but the general arrangement of track 14 was quite good. The in-game FX got too loud at times. Larry mentioned some odd notes, you should check those out. Try improving the way you handle the source a bit, maybe some subtle variation and smoother transitions between parts. Going from major to minor just like that sometimes feel a little strange.

This is a good start but you have some issues to adress. Palpable's last comment pretty much nailed it: fix the problem areas we listed and spruce up the more generic 1:11-1:50 and 3:46-4:10 and the lead. Then this has quite a good shot at passing. Go for it man!

NO(resubmit)