I remixed "The Battle Of Final Destiny" from Earthbound:

Eponymized

Alexis Gelinas

alexis.gelinas@gmail.com

myspace.com/finaltrespass

Game: Earthbound

Song: The Battle Of Final Destiny aka Giygas Battle

Comments:

This is my first remix, and I had a lot of fun making this song, but I don't particularly like the Earthbound soundtrack all that much. This song just happened to be a really catchy prog rock type and it was begging to be done. Hope you like it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming the first section of the source is straight from Mother. The rock section of the source arranged here kicks in at :52. Wow, that's really good for an SPC.

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=mo2 - "Pokey Means Business!" (mo2-129.spc)

I liked the personalized approach to the performance to start, but the structure was basically verbatim with the source for a lot of this, which was a negative once the instrumentation went for heavy rock in a similar style with the original at 1:20. Gotta go beyond the cover route on that level.

The mixing was on the sloppy side though (e.g. :31-:47, 1:19-2:41), and the stereo quality needed to be at 44kHz. 2:01-2:06 had really weak percussion. There was loads of needless distortion and clipping as well. Jesus, did this go through The Devil's Preamp? Man, I hope you got a decent master recording of this, because the volume and mixing on this render were fucked up. :lol: The opening started off hot, but the sound quality quickly went downhill once things got beefier. Too bad.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This song on the SPC just made my list of all-time-cool-shit!

Some SERIOUS clipping, I mean listen to those toms. Check your levels when recording/rendering, use a compressor or just turn the volume down! A lot of strange distortion on the drums too, they're very loud at times. Some guitar/bass sounds was also very loud and clipping like there's no tomorrow.. Check that stuff out man.

Like Larry said, arrangement started off quite hot but quickly went downhill and structure was almost verbatim.

Sorry but this is a no go. Production is terribly messy and arrangement isn't much to write home about. Get some tips at the WIP-boards/#ocrwip and read some tutorials and stuff like that. Oughta give you some pointers on how to improve! Good luck!

NO

I need to get around to playing this damn game. What a weird-ass source. Never knew anything from that era of VGM was prog-rock.

Nice performances, but apart from the acoustic guitar that opens the song, pretty much everything in here is from the original. The structure of the second half is identical to the source, except the very end. It needs more of your own spin on it. Right now, it's too much of a cover for OCR to accept. More along the lines of the acoustic guitar you threw in would work great.

Production is really off. You've got some instruments that need to be louder, some that need to be softer, clipping on the toms, and just a general murkiness in sound. There's not a lot I can tell you here except that you need to improve several aspects of your production. Make use of the WIP forum to get close-to-instant feedback on what you're doing wrong. You might also have to do some re-recording to get some cleaner takes... sorry, man.

NO