Remixer Name: Schmancy

Email: schmancy47@gmail.com

Userid: 13298

Submission Information

Game Arranged: Super Mario 64

Song Arranged: Piranha Plant's Lullaby

Arrangement Title: Piranha Praise

Link to Remix: http://www.box.net/shared/uyssgezql2

Commentary: The attempt here was to make a gospel version of the Piranha Plant's Lullaby from Super Mario 64--you know, when the Piranha plant is sleeping peacefully and you have to be a mean-spirited person and tip-toe up to it so you can bop it on the head and kill it? Somehow that felt to me like it could use a little bit of soul.

The instrumentation here is a piano, an organ, an organ bass, a drum set, and a rhodes, which come in and out at various times. I've tried to take some liberties with the theme at times, since it's short, to make it a little more interesting, and hopefully that's found to be in decent taste. There's really not much more to say about it. It's a little quiet, I know, and I think the bass might need to be fleshed out a little more. I think the samples sound alright, but I've heard them enough times that I might just have grown used to them, so I'm not sure.

Okay! Enjoy!

Ronak Shah

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'd probably call this "Piranha Be Praised" instead, but that's neither here nor there.

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12246 - 15 "Piranha Plant's Lullaby"

Pretty quiet to start, as well as lacking a lot of highs. 1:01 picked things up. I probably would have balanced the parts differently to not expose the rigidness and lack of realism of the piano sample and put the melodic organ writing more in the foreground when it was in play. There being no presence to the organ made dropoffs and subsequent reintroductions very ineffective. Take 2:52, when the organ came back: that was intended to be a dynamic shift, but the energy level felt very static regardless.

The arrangement is cool, Ronak, but the overall execution was held back by the sound quality of the piano and organ samples being too exposed, the overall texture being on the flimsy side, and dynamics implied in the writing not being realized. I would say don't really muck with the actual arrangement, focus on the production details, and this would be a winner. Your subs so far have all had great potential, so definitely don't drop this one.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent arrangement, Ronak. Expansive while always keeping a connection to the original, great part-writing. To me, this is pretty much exactly the kind of stuff OCR looks for.

Larry is right that a lot of the highs are missing from this song, which makes the sound feel unnatural. I felt like I was hearing the song from a distance. Maybe you could include more of the dry signal or reduce any damping you've got going; it sounds like it could be a reverb thing. The other issue I had was that the opening piano and rhodes cover much of the same territory, sonically. You could use some more EQ to give these guys their own space. Like Larry also mentioned, the song opens quiet and you'll probably also want to boost the song's volume, maybe using some light compression.

I really hope you give this one another try and resubmit it. The arrangement is perfect, and the production issues could actually be an easy fix, depending on whether things click for you.

NO (resubmit)

Much love goes out to mechafone who e-mailed me the source because Audio Overload don't play .miniusf.. Yay Mac ^^;;;

Anyway, arrangement here is a keeper. Some very smooth playing and personalization of a rather static source. Makes me wanna make sweet sweet love to.. well, god! And I'm an atheist! Though you can't blame me with an arrangement like this.

Bottom line: killer arrangement.

Production could be handled better. Larry mentioned the organ presence which is spot on. That baby needs to be right up front. The piano is a bit so-so sample wise but I think with some more attention to the production I could live with it. In general it feels like the mix is lacking some high frequencies (like my fellow brown judges said) and some slight compression on the final mix would also help. Piano and rhodes could be EQ'd a bit better.

This is a great arrangement but the production needs to go up another notch for this to achieve it's fullest potential. Listen carefully and compare to other songs in this "genre" to get an idea how to get everything to really click. But please, for the love of god (lol, pun) please resubmit this when you've fixed the slight issues. OCR needs this.

NO(resubmit)