*NO* Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past 'Symphonic Tale'

Liontamer

Remixer name: T.O.P

Game: Zelda 3

Song: Zelda 3 credits

I've made it on reason 4.0 and played everything on my keyboard.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - "Credits" (loz3-31.spc)

There's definitely clipping/distortion/buzzing/everything happening from :43-1:13. Compared to the arrangement, the production was definitely weaker, as everything sounded lossy, like all the high frequencies got lopped off. Some of the sequencing on the low strings also needed some work, as the fake-sounding note movements were really exposed from 2:32-2:55. The piano from 2:52 until the end also seemed less emotive while going for some beefed up chords; the timing felt a bit too stiff/mechanical.

Otherwise, a reasonable arrangement, helped in part by the source being so strong. It was relatively conservative in terms of the structure, but the different instrumentation, mood and performance dynamics & added piano writing helped this stand apart.

Refine the production and smooth out some of the articulation issues with the low strings and piano and this could be a winner. Arrangement-wise, there could be more going on, but I thought the substance was definitely there. Really enjoyable first sub.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice arrangement. It's very expressive, and well put-together. In particular, the piano you added was beautiful. When I first listened to the song, I too thought it was conservative, but closely comparing it to the original revealed a lot of subtle differences in melody and arrangement. It's personalized to my satisfaction.

The production holds it back. The 0:43 to 1:13 section is a weak link. The guitar (?) that comes in there makes the overall sound lossy, and a lot of clarity is lost. I think that section needs more separation between elements if you want to keep it. The string articulations could have been stronger, but something I really thought was an issue was that the lead string is fairly quiet and muted, especially when you compare it to the backing strings near the very end, which come through a lot stronger. I'd even just consider swapping those instruments, but something needs to change there so that the lead sounds like a lead.

This is very close and could be seen by some as a conditional YES (I think it has a little too much to fix to be called that). I highly recommend you fix the small issues and send it back to us!

NO (resubmit)

Woo, Reason 4 + keyboard. That's my setup!

Pretty nice arrangement we've got here. As Palpable said, some subtle differences that really helped keep this fresh. The piano especially is very pretty, again so sayeth the Palpable.

palpable

–adjective

1. readily or plainly seen, heard, perceived, etc.; obvious; evident: a palpable lie; palpable absurdity.

2. capable of being touched or felt; tangible.

3. Medicine/Medical. perceptible by palpation.

4. Skilled judge with attention to detail and the stamina needed to maintain an even flow of YES's and NO's on submissions for the not-for-profit video game arrangement community OverClocked ReMix. He also likes bad-ass electro.

Now with that outta the way, Vinnie's pretty much got everything right here. Production DOES hold this back. 0:43 to 1:13 is a weak link. The guitar doesn't really sound like a guitar and because of it the mix loses a lot of clarity. Orkester soundbank-strings are so-so and I never use them because of the lousy articulations. The lead was a bit weak compared to the rest (especially piano) too.

Still, overall this is a great first submission. The arrangement is effective and beautiful and the production, while it has some way to go, isn't bad at all. You just need to give it that extra polish to make it shine. Go for it!

NO(resubmit)