1st RESUB: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17146

Nutritious, Lindsey Phillips

Justin Medford

NutritiousMultimedia@gmail.com

http://nutritiousmultimedia.googlepages.com

Cave Story

Final Battle

Remix:

Ok, resub #2 for this track. Honestly, I'm glad the previous two rejections have forced me to work to improve on production elements (drums especially) that have kept this song from reaching it's potential. I know there are still some problems remaining (like guitars), but I feel like I've been able to get this song to a level I'm happy with.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Cave Story (Game Rip) - 31 "Last Battle"

Very strange volume dropoff at :05. Soundscape was pretty cramped from :22-:41.

Not sure why the drums were so beefy at :41 compared to the multi-piece orchestra. It's not to say that type of balance can't be employed. Ryan8bit's "The Grief of Aktemto" is a mix that rose above that criticism, but that one was pulled off better. His approach of the guitar being louder than a small orchestra was OK because his guitar was the lead. Your drums are not the lead here. Now, "whatever sounds good" is more important to me than, for example, memorizing the volumes and stereo qualities of an orchestral seating chart. Nonetheless, the mixing on this one was not pulled off well. When you have a pretty full orch competing with a straight up supporting part like drums, something's gotta give. :-)

The lead string sequencing starting at 1:04 sounded mechanical most of the time. Not sure why it didn't seem like a dealbreaker to me before, but it was now.

Can another J give some additional production tips on better separating the fullest sections? This really could sound a lot more balanced and cohesive. No issues with the arrangement; it's a done deal, don't mess with it. More finesse with the string sequencing, and better separation and sound balance with the parts could carry this to a YES.

NO (resubmit)

I like that this track forces your hand in terms of making somewhat a symphonic rock mix outside your comfort zone. At this stage, I think you should consult some experienced rock ReMixers and get their feedback on the drums, both tone and post-production. I mean, sure, you could enlist someone like Sixto to simply program or produce something, but I think you're in a good position to permanently improve your drum programming skills by figuring out how to make this piece click. Put this one aside if you have to, but DO come back to it. I'd like to see this make it in some form, and you're good enough to get it there if you stick with it.

Ook. This one was close last time, but I don't think the issues were resolved here. :sad:Unfortunately, the guitar might have gone too far in the opposite direction, where it's not prominent enough now. I don't remember exactly what the last version sounded like so I'm not sure if it's closer to where it needs to be now. I'd suggest nudging it forward a little. It's also possible that it's more a matter of clarity and that the guitar needs its own space. At 1:39 and onward, the guitar is hard to hear against the strings. I'd say try to give the strings and guitar their own space first using EQ, then check whether the guitar is still too soft.

The drums don't sound distant to me anymore, but I think there's still something off about them, like they are missing high frequencies and maybe some low frequencies too. I'm starting to think some of that comes down to the samples, but maybe you can account for them by boosting the ranges that need the help, rather than swapping them out. Try focusing on just getting them to sound right on their own first, by comparing them to other songs.

It's probably frustrating to be so close with this one and get stuck on one or two problem areas, but I think those areas are too significant. You seem to have gotten symphonic mixing down pat - if you can fix the guitar and drums, I think it will definitely improve your range as a remixer. Hope you see this one through.

NO (resubmit)

No wai, Justin made a remix!? :o

Never heard this one before so you get a pair of fresh ears here. Intro sounds cool although a bit heavy on the high-frequencies. Drums sounds strangely squashed and noisy, might be the result of some strange processing or other effect, doesn't sound very good though. The guitar is way in the back, which is too bad because it's a nice element otherwise. Interesting guitar tone, not bad but a bit flat. Strings are mostly good but some mechanical sequencing is holding them back from being what they could've been.

Arrangement was wicked. It seems that was already a given so I won't go any deeper than that.

The major gripe I had about this was the incredibly strange sounding drums. The rest of the production definitely needs to be a bit better but the drums really ruined it for me. I know it sucks and if you don't wanna re-visit this for a while I understand (I do that all the time). Maybe give it a break and work on some other stuff? Then get back to this with fresh ears! Would like having it on OCR though ;)

NO(resubmit.. again)