Using velocity to increase attack/cutoff

Sengin

Now, I have not used gating or CV yet, but from my understanding of CV (which may or may not be correct), I can use the velocity value (i.e. 0-127) to increase the attack and release values on an NN-XT, right? If so, how would I accomplish this?

Thanks!

If you use the TAB key to look at the back of your NN-XT you see that there are no inputs for CV/Gate whatsoever, so no. In the modulation matrix of the NN-XT there are also no ways to route velocity to attack or release.

If you look at the back of the NN-19, you see Gate inputs for the envelopes. If you connect the Matrix's gate output to the NN-19's Amp envelope Gate input, you can hold down the keys and get a gating effect. It's easy to simulate the "trance gate" you can find on some other synths by using only 4 steps and highlighting "tie" for the last, but that's not what you asked.

Gate switches things on and off. CV (control voltage) can be used to control certain knob positions.

What are you trying to achieve or mimic?

I was trying to have it so that when an instrument would be played really loudly, the attack would be a bit greater/sharper, and the reverse, when played softly, the attack would be a bit slower, leading to a more soothing sound.

Thanks though.

I've tried to find out how to make it work properly, and I've got two options:

- Route NN-XT through Thor's audio inputs. Find a way to trigger both Thor and NN-XT simultaneously and use Thor's modulation matrix to route velocity to the amplifier envelope's attack value.

- Drag NN-XT into a Combinator. Open the Programmer. Choose Device: NN-XT. Set Source to Rotary 1, Target to Amp Env Attack. Set Min and Max to taste. You then have to find a way to route velocity to the Combinator's Rotary input, since Velocity is not one of the options. I haven't found out if that's actually possible.