Liontamer

Contact Information

BlackPanther

Rashad Hill

rashad_hill@yahoo.com

Submission Information

Goldeneye 64

Disused Military Depot

After playing the game about 5 months back I came across the train depot level(the one before you get on the train) and I was thinking to myself, "Wow this is so good." So I decided in honor of such a kick ass song I would remix it and seeing as how the level is kinda dark and scary I would put that mood into my remix so what you have is a somewhat creepy, breakbeaty mix that you'll enjoy listening to as much as I did making it =).

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12212 - 113 "Depot"

You've really gotta tone down the treble. On the plus side, the hand percussion sounded awesome. The breakbeats were alright, but they sounded fairly lonely. The Depot melody could have sounded out more prominently vs. the beats, since the beats dominated the soundscape too much. But arrangement-wise, you used the theme throughout, and I liked the approach.

A pretty fun arrangement with a solid groove, but you need to put a little more meat on these textures, perhaps just an ambient pad to get rid of some of that dead space. Once you do something like that, pull back the treble, refine that one grating synth first used at 1:32, and get the balance sounding better, this'll be in a lot better shape. Definitely keep working on this one, Rashad, this is a solid base here.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Hehe, I still remember this source despite barely playing this game since it came out. That, my friends, is a memorable song.

Gotta basically agree with Larry here. I like what you have in place a lot, especially the hand percussion stuff. Good usage of the source themes. Your basic beat is very solid too, though I wouldn't have minded a little more layering in that beat, and some high frequency content like shakers and hi-hats to really fill out the picture. (I did hear some shakers in there but you emphasized the low-end of them.)

Leads definitely need to be stronger, and you'll probably want some more mid-range elements like pads or synth textures to fill out the middle. It felt empty at times. FX were also a little off on the synth that comes in at 1:32. It seemed disconnected and too upfront because of the reverb and delay settings.

This is pretty close, I think, and another run through to add some detail and rebalance levels could make this a pass. Hope you send it back to us, Rashad.

NO (resubmit)

Once more for emphasis, the hand drum loops are awesome.

I'm with my fellow judges here for the most part. This mix seems empty most of the time. A pad or maybe the strings doubled one or two octaves down would definitely help. The leads were a bit weak too, especially the strange flutey thing and the brass. They were both quiet and seemingly drowned in reverb. Crash cymbal is very sizzly, tone down the high-freqs or switch sample because it sounds quite unfocused and bad.

I thought your approach to the sourcetune was good. You have some good ideas and while the source material (and arrangement of the same) could be more prominent compared to the beats the arrangement in itself works well. Some additional variation to the basic beat+bass combo would also help but it's minor.

This needs to be taken up another notch in terms of production. Many elements just aren't clicking together (or on their own). Work on making everything sound cohesive and full and you'll have a winner! Good luck!

NO(resubmit)