*NO* Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 'Lonesome Hero'

Liontamer

Remixer name: Deft Flux

E-mail: dave@deftflux.net

Forum userid: 24286 (deftflux)

Source material:

Zelda: Twilight Princess – Light Spirit Theme (primary source)

Zelda (various, I think Link to the Past is the earliest) – Fairy Fountain (secondary source)

Source recorded from Twilight Princess:

Remix submission:

Title: Lonesome Hero

To give some background on the remix, I will quote my WIP forum post:

Most of you probably haven't heard of me before, but I'm not new to music. I mostly work on original music. Some of my original work is available on my MySpace page (http://www.myspace.com/deftflux). I haven't done much remix work over the years, and what I have done has been more of a "remake" than "remix", not including much original material.

This, however, is a serious remix of material taken from Zelda. I've wanted to do this remix ever since I first played Twilight Princess and got to the point where you save the first light spirit and it played this what I'll call "Light Spirit Theme", which turned out to be nothing more than a 30 second loop. It immediately struck me as epic and moving. I titled the remix "Lonesome Hero". The concept is that if you imagine the events of your typical Zelda storyline were real and you really were Link, the sole hero responsible for saving the world from perpetual evil, with all of the obstacles depicted in the game, it really wouldn't be pleasant. I thought of loneliness and a feeling of frustration. In fact, most of us can probably relate to that in that our own personal worlds are at times fraught with problems that may seem as epic and insurmountable as those depicted in Zelda, and we may feel like we are alone in our quest to solve them. So those are the feelings I attempted to convey in this work...

• 3 weeks later...

Intro arranging the main source. Not bad writing here, simple but effective. Not the most obvious source connection at times but you can hear it if you listen hard. I liked the move into the main theme of zelda. The move from Light Spirit via Zelda Theme to Great Fairy at 2:43-2:47 was awkward even though you changed the great fairy theme to minor for the most part. Overall the arrangement gets grating since it's quite static in how it's handled. Changing some instruments or making some breaks from the drum+pad+lead formula could be a good idea. The poly-synth riffing towards the end was good and a welcome addition.

The soundscape is very sparse since you're basically relying on a plain synth pad, flute, harp and drums during most of the song. The flute, harp and choir all sound fake too. Drums were quite cool, overall nice processing and programming. I would've appreciated a break of some sort though.

I feel this needs more work to pass. You've got some clever arrangement ideas but you have to work to make it less repetitive but still cohesive. The instruments all sound plain, the drums were good and all but they're not enough to carry the track. Good base so far but this one needs to be brought to the next level.

NO

Definitely not bad. I thought the overall arrangement idea was cool, starting with a simple set of instruments and working in elaborate drum programming, getting sort of glitchy towards the end. The mood was well set, and your choices of instruments were good too, especially that new synth towards the end. But I did feel there were a number of problems. The biggest one is that the overlaying of the classic fairy theme really didn't work with the chords you chose. It wasn't even one section either - you kept it in the background, and every time I heard those off-notes poke out, it rankled me. I'd advise either switching the chords for that section OR switching the notes of the melody that don't work. The intro was a little dull and wouldn't have minded something faster or just having more parts there. More detail would be great.

Thought you did a decent job with the production, though I wouldn't have minded a little more volume variance to humanize your sounds like the harp. Choir notes should glide together better to enhance realism. The drums also sound a little disconnected, and some slight reverb or delay could help.

This doesn't need an overhaul - just some improvement of key parts. I think if you can get past those problems, this could pass, David.

NO (resubmit)

Thanks for the source clips, especially since there's no formal soundtrack release I know of.

The vox articulations could use some work to sound less robotic, but the overall mood was OK. The encoding had a few artifacts around the 1:00 mark.

The brief use of the main theme at 1:32 was a good idea in principle to transition, but the section at 1:40 still felt disjointed from what came before, IMO.

The addition of the beats at 2:15 felt sloppy and brought in way too late in the game. The volume on them was too loud. The transition to the Fairy theme at 2:48 also felt discordant, disjointed from the rest of the track and didn't flow well. The beats really didn't cohesively combine with the other instrumentation.

By the time the percussion gets really crazy at 4:02, it was just distracting. I liked the melodic interpretation at 4:31 a lot, but the beats were overpowering the track.

Not to sound dismissive, but AnSo and particularly Palpable gave solid advice on how to improve the piece, so see what you can do with this and keep at it, David.

NO