*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'Assembly Line of Death'

Liontamer

Remix Link:

Remixer name: Cheeseworks

Email Address: tylo@fantasticrealm.net

Userid number: 25912

Game Arranged: Final Fantasy VI

Source Name: Devil's Lab (Magitek Factory)

Name of song: Assembly Line of Death

Comments: First off, I had an amazingly fun time putting this together. Drums have always been a struggle for me personally. So tackling a song that relies so heavily on a strong beat was a challenge. On top of that, most remixes I have heard of this song have very horrible drum usage. Many notes of the melody differ from the original, this is just my creative license at work. So my attempt was to add an element to this song that I haven't heard of or dealt with before. I also wanted to stay true to the original spirit of the song with wide usage of orchestral sounds. So the end product was an industrial drum beat, electric synth bass line, with strings and harpsichord. I fell in love with this wicked melody at a young age playing through the Super Nintendo game. I hope I did it some justice while adding my own element to the magic of "Devil's Lab", from Final Fantasy VI. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Devil's Lab" (ff6-214.spc)

Some cool sound choices, though the SFX at :08 was cheesy and out of place. Also, the drums were a little too loud (just personal preference, not a negative).

What mattered most though? The overall interpretation of the theme was WAY too straightforward and undeveloped. 1:07 & 2:04 were pure rinse-and-repeat sections with a new countermelody lightly accenting the melody for 1:07's section.

Straight up, you're not getting it done with this at all. Develop this further and actually get interpretive with the melodic arrangement. What's in place is just a framework, not a developed idea.

NO

Drums are a bit overpowered compared to the rest of the instruments. Strings especially were quiet and quite fake-sounding. Overall the instrumentation was pretty close to the original too.

The issue here is that you've basically done nothing to alter the source here. This is more like a sound-upgrade for a fan-remake and nothing more. Sorry, but this just doesn't qualify as an arrangement with our standards.

Get interpretive with the source, alter the melodies and harmonies, change some instruments and so on. Use the WIP-forums and #ocrwip to get some precious feedback.

NO

Very similar to the original, even the beat. This needs to have more interpretation. Even though I liked the beat, I wouldn't have minded it changing up. You could also add some flourishes in the bass or strings, some new melody parts, or even an original section. There's a lot you can do with this source, so do something unique with it. :-P

Production was not bad. Drums were a little loud but otherwise I didn't feel there were any huge problems.

Try thinking this one over, Tyler. You can keep some of the instruments you have but the song needs to stand apart more in the writing.

NO