*NO* Final Fantasy 7 'They're Stealing Our Planet'

Liontamer

Hi!

This is my very first submission to your site. I've been thinking 'bout submitting something to you for a long time, and here it comes!

Contact information:

* ReMixer name: SiDEKICK

* Email address: Johannes@who.net

* Userid: 21912

Submission information:

* Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: J-E-N-O-V-A theme

I guessed this song would be very popular to remix.

I'm not at all into this genre and this is very new to me, but I think the song turned out pretty cool anyway.

-

Got a lot of other remixes on the way, with other kind of genres like, Jazz, Orchestral, Rock etc.

Thanks for your time. And sorry for using email-attachment. I couldn't find any good host that wasn't just temporary-

Cheers, Johannes

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 214 "J-E-N-O-V-A"

Not bad at all for a first sub. The percussion being very spartan really hurt this, since you had a pretty weak anchor for the rest of the track and the texture was never cohesive.

Melodically, this could have been more interpretive as well, but I liked a lot of the other instrumentation and arrangement ideas. The last couple of minutes had some interesting twists before going back to source for the close.

Honestly, you just need to build some cohesive textures to properly fill out the background, and this would be in much better shape. Hopefully the musician Js can give specific advice on accomplishing that. I hope we hear more from you, Johannes, keep at it!

NO (resubmit)

Really interesting intro but I wish there was a better build-up to the main part.

The production has some issues. It's very muddy in general, like most instruments (especially the rhodes) are lacking high frequencies. The bass is also incredibly muffled. Some better separation or at least more careful equalization would help here.

Arrangement has some unique perks. You're obviously a fan of odd timesigs and all the crazy stuff that comes with that. I'm loving most of this stuff, harmonies on the jenova theme right in the middle, the new chords, the suttering processing. I didn't have a problem with the drums really, if you fixed the production so they'd blend in better with the rest of the arrangement I'd love them. The piano soloing is quite cool too, the stuttering here sounds a bit odd when it's so fragmentet but it's an okay twist. A big issue here is transitions and making the arrangement sound more cohesive. It should sound like one song, not one song with strange stuff shoved in between sections.

My main issue is close to larry's though. You've got a bunch of great ideas and tricks up your sleeve but you have to make this more cohesive. The production needs to click on every level and sound less muffled. The arrangement could use some better transitions overall and perhaps some more interpretive source usage, but that's not my main issue here.

I'd love to see a resub adressing my issues here, this is a very creative piece overall, it just needs to go the extra mile!

NO(resubmit)

C'mon, we only have six Jenova mixes. It's not THAT popular. :<

Actually, you brought a lot of new ideas to the table. I really like the overlaying of different time signatures and the jazzy new chords and runs you added to the song. Very personalized but still clearly tied to the original. I wasn't as big a fan of the processing, volume-dropouts, and slowdowns you did because I thought it was overdone. The 1:39-2:02 section was just too much to take and the flow was lost there. I'd rework that section and make the changes a little subtler. In smaller quantities, I can see them livening the piece up.

AnSo dead on with production problems. Very muddy in the bass ranges, instruments muted so that they don't fill the high ranges. Try to especially bring the piano and rhodes out more in the high frequency ranges, and those might be the same instruments you need to cut in the low ranges to bring out the bass and make the piece less muddy.

This is a good 80-90% of the way there. Just fix the problem areas and I think this is a pass.

NO (resubmit)