Mic not working in-game

BardicKnowledge

As anyone who's played over Steam with me this past week knows, my mic is out of commission. It's working fine when I test it outside of Steam (with either the Windows Sound Recorder or the Creative equivalent) -- but ingame in generates this horrible feedback loop when I test it, and as a result I can't chat.

Anyone have any solutions for me?

Edit: While I won't know 100% until my next Steam session, I'm pretty sure I've fixed the problem. The issue is that EVERY recording device wants to be on at once, now that I'm in Vista x64 -- including my sound card's "What U Hear" option where the output gets thrown through the input. It's useful for things like making a wav from a midi file, or getting DRM-free music after I listen to it once.

Not useful for things like communication, unfortunately. Disabling every recording device EXCEPT the microphone seems to be working. Hopefully I shoot zombies with a few people later on tonight to confirm it.