Printer Toner Zones

Jago

This is the first I've ever heard of printer toner placed in different zones based on the country where it's bought. I found out today that my HP printer is in zone 1, but I went to a German electronic store to get more toner. The box indicated it worked for my model, but when I installed the toner I got a flashing light. After going to HP's website, it turned out that Germany is in zone 2. Toner put into different zones? Anyone know why??

That's the first I've ever heard of a toner region lock. Seems like an attempt to sell more printers to me.

I looked into it, and I came across something that might be useful for you. I don't know what printer model you have, so it might not be relevant at all, but it's worth a shot I guess.

EDIT: I just came across a slashdot article which sort of explains the reasoning behind the region lock...

"Looks like the printer cartridge manufacturers will be borrowing techniques from Hollywood. HP introduced region coding for some of the newest printers sold in Europe. HP's US location and US dollar sliding lead to the situation, where cartridge prices in Europe are significantly higher than those in the States. In the Wall Street Journal article HP representative in Europe claims the company doesn't make any money off regional coding for cartridges, and that consumers will win once the US dollar rises over Euro."

Thanks for this info! Unfortunately, region coding seems to be a reality for HP's toner. Looks like this printer and a laptop I recently bought from them will be my last HP products.

UPDATE: Looks like my next printer will not be HP. It's definitely confirmed that they region-lock their toners. Worse, their tech support is utterly clueless. I contacted support, and despite being able to successfully perform a print test by pushing two buttons on the printer, the agent said the black toner is not compatible with the printer. My printer model is listed on the toner's packaging as being compatible, yet the agent said otherwise to me...twice. Normally I do check on products before I buy, but region-locking toner caught me completely by surprise. Oh well. Live and learn.