*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Snow Motion' *FT*

Disco Dan

Ok, so this is post take 2, since vigilante so conveniently deleted the post.

The only info I have is the following:

Game: Sonic 3

Remix Title: Snow Motion

Remixer: SkyHigh

E-mail: Pending

Song: Ice Capped

I forgot to get the guy's e-mail address and then he signed off but he said he had sent it via e-mail over a month ago.

I then made some insightful thoughts about how I liked the groove it had, and I liked the quality of the instruments, but how, on the other hand, the song seemed to be the same thing looped twice, with very little variety from section to section.

And after that I said I was torn.

But as I said, Vigilante came along and sensing that I needed something to do, deleted this post, and asked me to edit it back into existence, so here it is.

D

this mix has a lot going for it. it is very relaxing, the percussion is great, as are the sound effects. the guitar sounds nice in general, if the notes release too soon. the sparse harmony is soothing and pleasant. the mix has a nice minimalist feel.

unfortunately there are some issues that i cant look past. the quick release on the melody is an issue; it bothers me. while the minimalist feel is nice, i think the mix ought to build more, considering its length. there seems to be a fair bit of repetition, and not a lot of escalation. sometimes there just isnt enough going on.

i am torn. i'll come back to this one.

EDIT with some reworking, i think this could be a great mix, but right now it's just too repetitive, and it doesnt go anywhere. NO

Another icecap mix?

The percussion is indeed good, as are the pads and other ambient sounds. The finger clicks add a sense of intimacy to the mix. However, I think the notes on the melody should be longer, I think it would definitely work better with this mix. The delay attempts to counteract this, but I do believe another another instrument would have been more effective. It's also quite repetitive, with no real bridge or break.

NO

It's not bad, but this tune has been done sooo many times, and this is not as compelling as others that have been through this forum.

• 3 weeks later...

Shut up vigilante, a lot!

The issue I'm having with this song is the minimalistic nature. Lots of repetition, simple drums, simple lead, simple chords, simple bass, 3 (or 4?) repeats.

I know minimalism is a genre of sound, and I'm cool with that, but what I'm not cool is so much repeating with total lack of variation on melody/them style.

NO