*NO* Deus Ex 'UNATCO (EJ's Midnight Mix)'

Liontamer

*Remix Title: *UNATCO (EJ's Midnight Mix)

*Link to Remix: *

Contact Details_

Remixer Name/Group:* Auteur Theory

*Real Names: *Kev & Joel (Kev sending this email - but both to be credited)

*Email: *auteurtheoryonline@googlemail.com

*Specific Remix Page: *

*Kev's User ID: *21437

_*Submission Info

*_*Name of Game: *Deus Ex

*Name of Individual Song: *Unatco HQ

*Game info: *PC and PS2 release (named 'Deus Ex: The Conspiracy on PS2). Soundtrack composers Alexander Brandon, Michiel Van Den Bos and Reeves Gabrels. This track composed by Alexander Brandon.

*Original Track: *

*Notes on the mix: *This track is taken from our (Auteur Theory) album of Deus Ex remixes - 'The Long Night'. We consider this track one of our favourites, not only from our album but from the game. The lead synths lend themselves so well to house music, which made it great fun to work with. We tried to capture some of Brandon's mystery and atmosphere from the original, while adding our own chilled mark to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition Soundtrack - (04) "UNATCO"

Aw man, the voice samples are so tacky and cheesy. They just sound slapped on top. Meanwhile the synth design here was pretty vanilla. I did like the stuff going on at 1:57 though, which was at least more interesting, but everything else sounded pretty straightforward and plain. The flimsy claps at 2:39 sounded out of place with the rest of the textures; more of a nitpick than anything else.

As much as I like more downbeat, low-key pieces, the textures were pretty bland and there wasn't much energy to the piece. To make up for the tempo being the same throughout, you did add and drop various elements to create some dynamic contrast; I just didn't think it ended up particularly effective. At 4:17, I was hoping you guys didn't throw in a sound clip at the end, and was pleasantly surprised it didn't happen! :lol:

Hopefully some other Js can speak more to what could improve the overall package, cuz I'm stuck picking out what didn't work in this case. There's some potential here, but there's not much of a hook.

NO

Once was one time too many for that voice sample. twice was painful. three times was a joke. The arrangement here is just way too straightforward, and the instrumentation is really dry and uninteresting. I love that you've tried this soundtrack, and I hope you keep at it because you've got some decent ideas, but you really need to add more to this tune. Why are there no drums?

NO

The issue I have with this mix is that it sounds like it's in the background, far in the background. There wasn't really a lead instrument in this whole mix until 2.40, and the repetitive nature of the previous sections weren't really helped by the voice samples. The sampled lines themselves sound really cheap and tacky. The only one that sounded ok was at 1.25, due to the delay and reverb helping it to fit into the soundscape rather than just being dryly placed on top.

The original source isn't that varied in itself, however that gives more scope to really expand on that and create something with a lot of original material that blends with the source. In that respect I think this could have had a lot more elements added to keep the listener engaged.

This mix has been a little overcompressed, which is evident at around 2.40 when the drums come in. The texture is rather thin for a downtempo tune with regards to drum timbres and sounds, in particular the snare in the second half of the mix.There is also around 6db headroom which is not being used here, the mix peaks at around -6db which means that the mix could have been turned up considerably whilst still having that creative pump sound to it. Perhaps giving most of the compression to the drums first would have made it sound better.

This would need a total rework for OCR.

NO