*NO* Mega Man X4 'Betrayal of a Soldier'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Oni

Email Address: parii-sama@hotmail.com

Forum ID: 26108

Game Arranged: MegaMan X4; Playstation(PSX)

Song Arranged: Stage Theme of Magma Dragoon

Remix Link:

I've also attached an MP3, in case of any problems with the link.

About myself:

I've been a guitarist for almost 5 years, and I've been learning how to play video game music for about 3 years now, so I definitely consider myself an amateur. I've done many covers of bands and of video game music, but not a lot of composing/arranging. I've done a few tracks that I arranged based on other songs, but only recently have I felt that I have the talent to submit a track to OCReMix.

The reason for choosing this track, other than it being a favorite of mine, is simply because it falls right into the genre that I love to play the most, and also based on the fact that most MegaMan music just sounds awesome when done with guitars. :D

Anyway, I appreciate any criticism that your panel has to give me in regards to the production of the track, as I've only recently begun to make more professional-sounding tracks, and I would really like to improve in any way that I can.

Thanks for your time in reviewing my submission.

-Oni

------------------------------------------

Capcom Music Generation Rockman X1~6 - (311) "Magmard Dragoon Stage"

Decent cover, but it's not interpretive enough at all. The melody's just 1-for-1 with the original. The guitar performance on the lead was a bit stiff and could have been loosened up more. 1:53-2:11 had some soloing over the foundation of the original, but that was about it in terms of personalizing the performance. The arrangement needs more development and uniqueness.

NO

Spectrally, you've got some mud going on...too much 100-200 Hz. maybe even higher...I'd say you could use more midrange. For this style, another production think you should probably consider is recording more layers for the rhythm guitars, and adding reverb to the leads. it sounds a bit thin. and dry.

The arrangement is okay, but you could really do more with it.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Arrangement was on the coverish side, but there was also some clear interpretation. Starts off almost a near cover but adds some cool harmonies, new rhythms, soloing, and structure changes as it goes along. What pushes it over the border to too conservative is that the original is in a similar style with a synth lead rather than a guitar. If you're gonna keep the sound similar, you need to make more changes to those conservative opening parts of the song. I did like your performances.

Vig's comment about it being thin also rings true for me. The leads are a lot more prominent than anything else, and the background sounds too sludgy. The backing guitars need more space and clarity to them. It may mean emphasizing them more in the mids to highs - really, all I hear is the low-end.

Play with the arrangement and clean up the production and please send it back to us! I like what you've got here.

NO (resubmit)